Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ericdom

Chocolate Porter

Hi folks -

I'm a fairly new brewer and have tried to follow the advice of the community which is to not get too fancy to quick, but just brew some of the basic refills and get used to the flavors as bases upon which to build.

Having done a few batches and, in preparation for the fall months, I'm planning to venture into new territory by brewing a chocolate porter based on the American Porter refill.

I've read some other posts were brewers complained about the MrBeer "Chocolate Porter" recipe which calls for dark brown sugar and unsweetened cocoa powder into the American porter HME, citing irritating conflicts between the two flavors. I also read advice against using solid chocolate because of the oils.

In light of all this, I'm contemplating a very simple approach which would be to add a can of Hershey's chocolate syrup (a 16 oz. can would be pasteurized, I'd assume?) into the boiling malt before pouring it into the LBK.

So, boiled, pasteurized chocolate syrup into the American Porter HME.

Any thoughts for the neophyte?

Eric

You could add chocolate syrup to the batch, it will not hurt it, the best option thought I feel is adding coca powder to malt instead of the syrup, but it could be a good experiment to see how it works out!

There's a Mr. Beer recipe that calls for 1 cup of brown sugar and 1/2 a cup of cocoa to be added to the water after boiling before adding the wort. I read a number of comments against brown sugar due to molases favors so I went with unrefined cane sugar. Still in the keg so I'm a ways out from any taste reports.

Hi ericdom, did you end up brewing up this recipe?  How did it turn out if so?  I am interested as well..  I am currently fermenting the Ole Mole, so not sure how it will turn out, but we shall see!