own beer for years, I decided to treat myself to a Mr Beer Premium and

Deluxe kit for my birthday last month. I was anxious to start down the

path of brewing my own beer... My first two batches were Czech PIlsner

and a batch of Diablo IPA. 

After letting them ferment for about

2.5 weeks, I bottled them last night. After bottling and labeling, I

placed the bottles in the box that the bottles were shipped in to

condition.  Is there an issue with doing it this way?  I know that the

instructions say to let the bottles set for a week out of direct light. 

Just not sure if keeping them in a box will do any harm... My plan is

to keep them in the box for a week or so and then to the fridge for a

few weeks.

I pretty much followed the instructions that came with

the kits and all seems to be ok so far...  The only potential mistake

that I made was uncovered during my time with the instructional video

(that I watched AFTER I had already started fermenting my first two

batches)... In the video it specifically states NOT to use distilled

water. Of course distilled water is exactly what I used... I am not sure

of the repercussions of brewing with distilled water. but I guess we

shall see! 

Although I am not even sure how my first two batches

will ultimately turn out, I am now ready to get started on my next

batch... I purchased 4 refills, in addition to the two that came with

the Premium kit.  (I only have enough bottles for three batches at this

time.)  The kits that I have are St. Patrick's Irish Stout, Aztec

Mexican Cerveza, Patriot Lager, and Classic American Light.  I was kind

of leaning towards the Irish Stout, but am up for suggestions from the

community.

I am looking forward to reading through the discussion forums to discover more tips and tricks from the community!

Thanks,

Tony

Welcome!! There is a lot of knowledge on this forum! Ask away and learn a lot!  With the water issue you should be okay, brewing with the HME's they have a lot of the minerals already in them that is needed to help the yeast ferment properly so you should be fine there on these ones, next time I would not use it though just to be safe. Keeping your bottles in the box will be fine! They should be okay, I would check them after one week, if they are not extremely firm  then they may need another week. Then you can condition them in the fridge after that. I say for your next batch go with the St. Patrick's Irish stout, that one is really good! Then maybe the Aztec as well. Welcome to the forum and happy brewing!

Lager-Day.jpg

Nice to meet you.   I started with mrB kit 3 1/2 years ago, and never looked back.

You will love brewing and your home brews.    Yah, distilled is a no no, but who knows .... let us know ....

Spring water is yes yes.

I'm lucky ... I live where the tap water is good.  There is a trace of chlorine ... but it boils out ... and a trace of floride, I think ... but I can't taste it.  

[

robertl6 said:go with the St. Patrick's Irish stout, that one is really good!

Gotta love a stout.

You should NOT put them in the frig after a week or even two.  4 weeks is what we recommend, at room temp, and yes - in the box is perfect to keep them out of the light.  Then, refrigerate one or two for a few days and try them.

2 weeks has always worked well for me! Have not had any issues so far with carbonation. I do like to lager the beer though for a few weeks in the fridge, but thats just me.

Even with the basic refills, going 3 weeks in the LBK (little brown keg) can't hurt and 4 weeks at room temp in bottles (keeping them in a box is fine, actually better as it helps block light and contain bottle bombs if they were to occur). Then, I start feeding them into the fridge for a couple of days before trying one. Do not put them all in at once, allow them to keep conditioning so you can taste changes as they continue to conditoin. I would advise you to take notes on each brew you do, from ingredients, brew day notes, measurements and to incldue taste notes as you work your way thru themj.

once you have several batches bottled and conditioning it becomes much easier to let them condition longer as you can add once or two from each batch at a time to the fridge. In the meantime - read all you can, and harvest the good brown bottles (not twist off) that come with free craft beer inside them from your local liquor store - you will be needing those bottles soon enough :)

Cheers

jeff

Thanks for all of the replies and tips!  Based on what I have read so far, this is a great beer community!  Very helpful, indeed. 

I went ahead and start batch 3 and 4.  I went with the Irish Stout and Aztec Mexican Cerveza. Even though I have just started, I learned a few things from the first two batches that made this go-round much smoother.  I am going to go ahead and let these 2 LBKs ferment a bit longer prior to bottling/conditioning.  I may start looking closer at the various methods of adding the sugar and bottling the beer.  Baby steps for now...

Thanks again for all of the replies and tips!!  I'll update the group on how things turn out in a few weeks... In the meantime... Start another keg?  Hmm.... 

I started brewing in '07, found this forum in '08.

There were a lot of us trying to learn what would be the best way to get good results making Beer.

With the products MB, we discovered we attained the best results by using Spring Water (unless your home water quality was good).

For cooling down your new wort, We found that putting a good gallons worth of that water to be used in the fridge worked great. Even if you cool it down too much, the wort will return to room temp on it's own, and the yeast will kick in when it's darn good and ready.

A Hydrometer would be a great tool to determine when the beer is done fermenting in the LBK. Takes the "guess" out of it. If you don't have one, we suggest you give it 3 weeks in the LBK. All MB products will have fermented by then.

Once the beer has reached final gravity (normally about 1/4 of the original gravity~this is where the hydrometer comes in handy)...or 3 weeks have gone by, it's time to bottle.

We suggest you add the sugar to the bottle first. Otherwise, you may have a foam over. Can't see where that would be considered a good thing.

Once the Bottles are filled, set them aside for 4 weeks at about the same temp you fermented the beer. Two things are going on at this time:

1. The priming sugars are interacting with the yeast still in the wort, and adding "fizz" to it.

2. once the yeast is done "fizzing", it cleans up what it didn't eat before. [that's the conditioning part]

after about a month of this in the bottle, it's time to start putting the yeast to sleep.

Leave the bottles to be used in the fridge for about 3 days. That way, the yeast will go to sleep, fall to the bottom, and take any othere particulates with them.

When you go to drink them, pour the beer into the glass slowly, watching for the bottle trub. Once the bottle trub is about to come out, stop pouring (unless it's a wheat beer) and just toss that part, wash the bottle and set it aside for the next batch of beer.

So, there you are. full cycle.

The Beer Nong

^ What they said.

Just wanted to say welcome a-Borg fellow Michigander (or possibly Michigoose).

Welcome, ask any question and the folks on this borg will answer. I started in Jan an have found out that there is  no judgment with this group just good advice.  My 2nd batch was the Irish Stout with  robust LME. this is one of my favs.  just brewed an Oatmeal Stout today. I like my Stout, save a bottle or two for St Patty's Day they will be excellent by that.  

Good luck and brew on.

Welcome. this group can help you as your brewing obsession grows.  I just started in Jan and this borg has been helpful.

I would go with the Irish Stout.  My 2nd brew was the Irish Stout Deluxe (with the Robust LME).  Just finished brewing an oatmeal stout this morning.

Good luck.