Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
chalkjhawk79

Boulevard 80-acre clone

Okay, so I had a thread regarding this a long time ago and got a lot of help on how to get a recipe going for Boulevard's 80-care (love hoppy wheat beer).  I finally came up with this

3.3 lbs Muntons Pale Liquid Malt Extract

3.3 lbs Muntons Wheat Liquid Malt Extract

1 lbs Crystal 10L or Cara-Pils (Grain - Steeped)

Boil @ 50 min: 1/2 oz Bravo and Zeus or Summit

Boil @ 7 min: 1/2 oz Zeus or Summit

Flameout (whirlpool): 1/2 oz Cascade

Dry Hop with 1 oz each of Cascade & Nelson Sauvin (after primary fermentation)

However, I'm really confused about the ratio of Wheat malt to the Pale malt.  I've read where a wheat beer should be around 50% wheat, 50% barley...but muntons liquid wheat malt extract is already 55% wheat and 45% barley.  So, if in the recipe above I add the 3.3 lbs of pale Malt, won't that dramatically lower the %'s?  Wouldn't the end result be like 30% wheat and 70% barley or something like that?  Should I just use 2 cans of the Wheat extract instead?

I'm still pretty new at this and normally I just use the Mr Beer recipe kits, so this would be my first time branching out on my own....but I'm excited about it.  I just want to make sure I get the right proportions of malt.  So, any help would be much appreciated!

Be wary of summit, it can turn onion/garlicky on you, FYI.

If you're a wheat fan you could use 2 cans of the wheat since the original seems pretty malt centric, depending on the yeast you use you can tame the wheaty character down with US-05 yeast. You'll still have plenty of wheat in there but because it is an American Wheat style it won't have those Hefe flavors that the yeast lends. You could add in some Mr.Beer Golden LME or even a can of Bavarian Weissbier to balance if you were to use the pale/wheat combo.

Are you splitting this between a couple of LBKs? That's about 4 time the normal amount of malt, or twice as much as the seasonal Saison. Just curious. Maybe this is a 5 gal recipe?

Monty

By no means an IPA fan, but had this recently and very much enjoyed it.  Will be trying this recipe in a few weeks to try and get something similar.  Thoughts or suggestions from the peanut gallery?

1.87lb Bavarian Weissbier HME

1.25lb Muntons Wheat DME

0.5oz Cascade @ 5min

Safale S-05

0.5oz Cascade dry hop @ 2 weeks

0.25oz Nelson Sauvin dry hop @ 2 weeks

QBrew puts this in at 5.4% abv and 20 ibu.

http://www.boulevard.com/BoulevardBeers/80-acre-hoppy-wheat-beer/ 

• Like 1

By no means an IPA fan, but had this recently and very much enjoyed it.  Will be trying this recipe in a few weeks to try and get something similar.  Thoughts or suggestions from the peanut gallery?

1.25lb Muntons Wheat DME

0.5oz Cascade @ 5min

Safale S-05

QBrew puts this in at 5.4% abv and 20 ibu.

This looks like an EXCELLENT recipe! I think I'm going to make it. It's just a matter of finding some Nelson Sauvin hops. And instead of Munton's wheat, I'm just going to use our Cooper's DME (I'm not a fan of Munton's). 

Thanks for the reassurance Josh.  The lhbs has a pretty decent variety of hop pellets but typically only carries muntons dme.

I've heard people say drink wheat/hoppy beers young.  How many weeks would you recommend from bottling before it would be good to drink?

Mmmm. . . . I do enjoy Boulevard's 80 Acre. I may have to try this one.

A very good beer, what hop substituion could you use instead of the Nelson Sauvin

A very good beer, what hop substituion could you use instead of the Nelson Sauvin

Unfortunately Nelson Sauvin has no substitute. It is a unique hop unlike any other.

Just brewed this up today.  Will be throwing the extra cascade and nelson sauvin in at two weeks.

1.25lb Muntons Wheat DME

0.5oz Cascade @ 5min

Safale S-05