Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
MattKnox

New Brewer intro

Hello all.  My name is Matt and I am obviously new to the forum.  As most people I got a Mr. Beer for christmas and been doing some brewing since.

To be honest my main reason for brewing at first was Yuengling.  I grew up in NY, then lived in DE for 7 years (I am in the military) and got moved out to Wyoming where they don't sell it.  So I wanted to make a clone.  I have tried 4 or 5 different recipes an a couple came out ok.  I got one from a lhbs in Colorado and another off of another brewer website.  I have two more that are bottled and conditioning as we speak.  One is an malt extract, and one is a DME.  I just did a BIAB but I have to be honest, Im not sure how it will turn out.  It didn't have the amber look that yuengling does.  Anyways after these batches I will be going more for "in the style of" because I want something I can call my own (or close to it lol).  

Im sure I will have a ton of questions and look forward to interacting with everyone here.  Thanks guys and happy brewing.

P.S.  If you live in Wyoming or Northern Colorado, hit me up and we'll chat.

I did.  This is the recipe that the lhbs gave me to try.

5lb pilsner malt

1/2 lb flaked corn

1/2 lb carapils

1/4 lb crystal 60

Cascade 0.35 oz, Pellet, 60 minutes

Cluster 0.25 oz, Pellet, 20 minutes

Cascade 0.20 oz, Pellet, 5 minutes

I thought it was weird not adding 2 or 6 row.  Plus he was trying to convince me to not use corn cause Yuengling doesn't use it.  Then I proved him wrong.

Honestly I will prob go back to LME until I learn a little bit more about brewing.  I'll be posting some questions, but thank you for responding.

You'll find that a number of recipes use base grains other than 2- or 6-row, although 2-row is the most common.  But most people start with extract instead of jumping straight to all-grain.  I still use pale extract instead of 2-row to save time and since use of 2-row probably isn't going for a special character as using things like Maris Otter would be doing, as well as extracts being high quality now. 

You can do a search on Google for something like "yuengling clone extract recipe", which produces several useful recipes and discussions.  They do use specialty grains for special chacteristics. These are easier to work with than going all the way to all-grain. 

Please do ask more questions, since these discussions are a great way to learn. 

MattKnox said:Hello all.  My name is Matt and I am obviously new to the forum.  As most people I got a Mr. Beer for christmas and been doing some brewing since.

To be honest my main reason for brewing at first was Yuengling.  I grew up in NY, then lived in DE for 7 years (I am in the military) and got moved out to Wyoming where they don't sell it.  So I wanted to make a clone.  I have tried 4 or 5 different recipes an a couple came out ok.  I got one from a lhbs in Colorado and another off of another brewer website.  I have two more that are bottled and conditioning as we speak.  One is an malt extract, and one is a DME.  I just did a BIAB but I have to be honest, Im not sure how it will turn out.  It didn't have the amber look that yuengling does.  Anyways after these batches I will be going more for "in the style of" because I want something I can call my own (or close to it lol).  

Im sure I will have a ton of questions and look forward to interacting with everyone here.  Thanks guys and happy brewing.

P.S.  If you live in Wyoming or Northern Colorado, hit me up and we'll chat.

hi welcome to the forum.

Welcome aBorg, Matt!!!

Sounds like you are on a roll.  Be sure to let us know how that BIAB turns out.