Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sambeerindia

cascade blonde ale - bittering hop question

Hi folks, 

I'm planning a very simple cascade blonde with cascade at 60 mins and cascade at 30 mins. 

Does it matter if I use a higher AAU hop like magnum for the 60 min boil instead of the cascade? 

/Sameer

it will be more bitter than your expecting is all unless you use a program like q brew to adjust the amount accounting for the higher alpha.

Like Jim said, when using different AA levels, you'll require more at the lower end, and less at the upper end.

surf the net and find a "brewing" program that suits your needs. Or, get a Beer Slide rule that allows you to figure each part.

the example would be

Fuggles~4AA

Citra~14AA

so, you could see if you added an oz of fuggles, you'd have just 4AA...which could give you a mellow bittering.

if you used the Citra @14..your eyes will explode

Thanks folks,

So if I calculate the amount to use such that I will get the same amount of IBU's, then there is no real difference to characteristics affecting the beer's "taste" that the bittering hop provides?

/Sam

Yes, for bittering what matters is the calculated IBU, using siftware like QBrew or a similar method.  With a 60-minute hop boil, the flavor and aroma have almost all boiled off. 

Any length of hop boil (greater than zero) will give you some bittering, with longer boils giving more bittering.  For what it's worth, I usually have my longest boil at 20 minutes, a technique called a hop burst.  20 minutes is for maximum flavor.   I estimate the amount of flavor and aroma that I want, and if I need more IBU than QBrew or other software calculate, I include a neutral hop such as Magnum in the 20-minute boil.