Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jastew

Cleaning LBK

Just bottled my first batch and looking to clean the LBK. I've read recommendations here for using Oxyclean Free but I'm concerned about rinsing the residue. What quantities do you guys mix?

Are there other cleaners recommended?

Thanks.

Although I use Oxyclean Free to clean glass bottles, to remove labels in the process, for the LBK I use the purest unscented & uncolored dishwashing liquid I can find.  I use paper towels to scrub it, since they are soft but sufficiently durable, and use the paper towels again to wipe while rinsing, then rinse again wuth clean water and a vigorous shake, before sanitizing.  I rinse the glass bottles multiple times to make sure the Oxyclean is off, with vigorous shakes while rinsing.  For the glass bottles, I use 1-2 tbsp per gallon if Oxyclean. 

Welcome jastew!

Usually I use about a half a scoop in the empty LBK then fill with lukewarm water. Lukewarm water so the odors don't set in the plastic! Fill it all the way up and let it sit for a day or two.

Empty it out then rinse with lukewarm water. If you have to scrub the inside use a micro fiber cloth and use it only for your LBKs.

Oxi Clean Free doesn't leave a residue or any off odors if you rinse it well.

I usually use Kroger's brand because it's a lot cheaper and works just as well!

Good luck!

i use oxiclean free half a scoop in half an lbk of water .  i put it in the sink and rotate top to bottom every couple hours then after at least 8 hours of this i wipe the inside with a wash cloth while the oxiclean is still in there.  drait thru the spigot to clean it rinse several times then disassemble the spigot to allow to dry.

I empty and rinse the LBK, then add one scoop of Oxyfree, fill to the top with cold water. Warm to hot water tends to help fix odors into the LBK.

I put the lid on. I let is sit for a hour or more, and then take a soft cloth and wipe the inside. that normally takes all the crud out. Then you'll need to take apart the spigot and give that a good cleaning as well.

I do the same that Foothiller does! I use clear unscented hand soap, and just wipe the LBK down with paper towels to get all of the build up off.  Haven't had any issues yet and the had soap is only 99 cents!

jastew said:Just bottled my first batch and looking to clean the LBK. I've read recommendations here for using Oxyclean Free but I'm concerned about rinsing the residue. What quantities do you guys mix?

Thanks.

re-read the thread most of us stated how much we use

Jim Johnson said:
jastew said:Just bottled my first batch and looking to clean the LBK. I've read recommendations here for using Oxyclean Free but I'm concerned about rinsing the residue. What quantities do you guys mix?

Thanks.

I just figured out, we're now using the Australian method of posting.  The thread reads from bottom to top, so at the end of the thread is the oldest post and at the beginning of the thread is the newest post.

They're just trying to make it easier for me to read after I make this move to the GDU*.

*GDU...Great Down Under

OMG, now it's upside down?   I'll have a hard time getting used to that after years of posting here and other boards the other way. 

Joechianti said:
Jim Johnson said:

Thanks.

I just figured out, we're now using the Australian method of posting.  The thread reads from bottom to top, so at the end of the thread is the oldest post and at the beginning of the thread is the newest post.

so that's what's wrong thanks Joe been wondering what had happened.

Dang Joe. I thought I had a few too dang many !!! Then I read Dags post and was sure I did. !!! HAHA