Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Spucky

Exploding bottle!

Just thought I would mention that I've been brewing Mr.beer recipes for a little  over a year and a half and I recently brewed the summer seasonal farmhouse ale Which I love! Well I fermented for 3 weeks and its been conditioning for little over 4 weeks.one of the bottles completely shattered and the cap stayed completely intact! Maybe too much sugar priming in one bottle? Because I still bottle prime.anyway just thought id share that with you guys! First time for me!!! Cheers!!!

Don't dispare... could have been a bad bottle.

however, for your safety, you can set the remaining bottles in a garbage bag for a containment field.

Have yet to have a botlle bomb  but have over carbed b4..  I've been batch priming and has worked out great for me ...   As YD said put in a large garbage bag but..... place in a box with a lot of bubble wrap and send to me for proper disposal !!!!

Out of curiosity, are we talking about a glass bottle here? I had a PET bottle lose its bottom; I'm not sure it qualified as a "bomb" because the bottle that failed was standing where I had put it and the bottles around it were undisturbed. Could have been a defective bottle, I suppose, but clearly pressure was a factor. I haven't done it much but batch priming seems like a good way to go. Granulated sugar does the job but I'm never confident that the amount is consistent. Sugar cubes and priming tablets are my choices now for bottle priming.

jhough, What have I told you about beer disposal? You know darn well you're not properly licensed for that. I am.

If the rest of the batch isn't over carbed, I'd say it was just a weak or chipped bottle that gave out.   I had one come apart in the bottle opener once.

I ingested little pieces of glass, because I refuse to waste beer.  Kidding.

thanks guys! Your probably right it could've been just a bad bottle!thanks for the input cheers!

Sorry Clyde, Spucky

please let me rephrase . Package properly and send to YankeeDag when he gets Downunder ! Lord knows after going through customs he will probably need them !!

I had the same thing happen with my Summer Seasonal (no addatives) and had just one bottle explode - The rest were fine infact last night i took them out of the fridge and had a few - tasted good - I think maybe it was a weak bottle on my end as well., 

Glad im not the only one lol. (And sorry it happened to you as well) 

I went to uncap one of my WIPA seasonals the other night.  Bottled in a 12oz long neck, capped with a wing capper.  The neck snaped right off about 3/4 of an inch below the cap.

Soooo, yes bottles can weaken with use, or flaws.

Sorry for the loss Spuckey!

I had the bottom just pop right out of a 12 oz'r on me one night. Had the headphones on upstairs while bottling a batch and it sounded like somebody hit the outside door.

I couldn't figure out what the sound I heard was until I went downstairs and  saw beer running down the side of the cabinet!

Never tipped over either!

Azmark, I would almost bet that yours breaking of  below the cap like that is stress from the wing capper. That's why I got rid of mine and bought a bench capper.

I had one do that in three straight batches.

I am curious when the problems with bottle explosions are most likely to occur...within the 1st week of bottling or after 3 or 4 weeks of conditioning.  My guess would be after the 1st week or so when the bottles are almost fully carbonated.

If I have have my pipeline moving like I want, I usually move bottles that have been carbonated for a week into an open storage area.  Newly bottled beer goes into a wooden beer crate with a cooler filled with a fermenting LBK on top of it.

For my summer seasonal I carbed at a volume of 3.0 using Screwy's bottle carbonating table.  No problems after 2 weeks using 12 oz glass bottles.

Nobody charts when bottles explode and no analysis has been done to determine if a bottle that exploded was due to a faulty bottle, overcarbonation, or a combination of both.

Carbonation isn't done in a week.  Since the recommendation is for carbonation and conditioning for four weeks, during that period if you put your brews in a waterproof container, or simply in a garbage bag, you shouldn't have an issue.

I bought plastic file boxes at Staples, 100% Staples Rewards back (so I then use that money to buy something else), and put my brews in them for at least 3 of the 4 week period.

I know I went through a period when my last bottle bottled was the one most likely to explode. I actually began numbering the bottles in order to test the theory. That little bit of cloudiness you get into can transfer to the last bottle when you're working so hard to get ALL your beer. Over carbonation and a progressing infection can also be culprits of blowing bottles, so like the others I like a bomb box or bag (in my case I prefer an ice chest for the added temp control/stability and the handles that make it easy to carry to the tub for any needed clean up) as long as my beers are carbonating or unrefrigerated.