Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
devilsnight

Stuck fermentation?

Im still using my Mr. Beer keg but brewing my own recipes at the moment. I have an IPA (I hope) in the fermentor for 4 days now and nothing seems to be happening. When I made the yeast starter originaly I thing I might have cooked the yeast. I forgot to take the temperture of the boiled water in my yeast starter cup and I think it was probly about 110 degrees. It was foaming alot after a half hour so I decided to pitch it anyway. After maybe 36hrs. nothing was happening so I decided to drop in a packet of Dry yeast. Again, after 4 days.. nothing. There was a small amount of foam sitting in the middle of the wort until tonight, now its just hazy with condensation drops clinging to the top of the keg. Now what!! Any insight appreciated..

Recipe: 2 gallons water, 3lb Light DME, Couple oz of cascade and chinook were added during boil, and I used Safebrew S-33 dry yeast. First time as a starter, second just dumped the pack in.... Did I screw up, should I dump it and start over?? Thankyou for any help!     

Ahh!!! Now you got me thinking! I checked my thermostat downstairs, and also my thermometer on the kitchen counter which both indicate about 75 deg. I have it sitting in my bedroom on the second floor.... probly 80-85, don't ask me how I sleep at night :) I dono. I guess Im going to set the keg in my basement stairwell and see if theres any action tommarow. Do you think the yeast are fine yet? As I already pitched 2 packages of yeast already I figured that would be a last resort. Thanks, I believe you already tought me a valuable lesson

One quick/easy way to drop the temp is to place the LBK in a pan to catch the dripping water.  Then place a wet t-shirt, or towel over the LBK, this will cause the wort temp to drop down sometimes 10 degrees.  Keep the shirt/towel wet.  Fermenting at a higher time will sometimes cause the yeast to stress out, producing off flavors, this is why fermentation temp is so important.  Also not, not all of these simple kits/recipes will produce krausen (foam) on top the wort.  I've had some that apear'd totally dead, but upon close inspection was indeed producing trub.  That's why I said, get a strong flashlight and look at the bottom, is there any?  If so, leave it alone.  If not, after 4 days, get the wort chill'd with the wet-t trick and repitch as soon as possible.

I'm not saying this has happened to yours, don't toss or dump, let it ferment.  Just try to cool it down some.  The only way to tell if it is fermenting to see trub in the bottom of the LBK (Little Brown Keg).

You said your gonna place it on your stairwell... if u mean on your stairs, I highly recommend against that, would hate to lose a noob brewer... LOL

I see, last time I brewed there was lots of krausen on top after like 2 days. I was pretty much going off that. I believe there appears to be a quarter inch of trub on the bottom. I'll have to bring a decent flashlight home from work tommarow and check. Also my LBK is sitting on a shelf in the stairwell so its safe :) thankyou, I'll report back tommarow with results.

So it definately appears like 1/4 inch of trub on the bottom. Still no krausen/ sign of activity.

I guess, What is the most accurate way to take a gravity reading then at this point with the lbk?? Initially After I dumped the wort and everything settled I opened the spout and filled my test tube. The reading was around 1.020, didn't seem right.... So then I had a small amount in my brew kettle yet that had alot of gunk from the hops that I refrained from pouring into the keg. I tested this and came up with 1.048. Now that sounds right on... Where is my mistake?  

K. You didn't screw up. Test b4 you pitch yeast. As far as this batch......LetIt Ride !!!

You will make beer . If you have 1/4 in trub on bottom you are probably ok. Hydro test at 2 weeks then at 16 days . If the FG is in range then bottle and check at 4 weeks.

Sounds good. So how do I take a reading then?? For the sake of learning, I opened the spout again and filled my test tube, reading is 1.002. Again doesn't seem right. How are you guys testing with the lbk?