Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Btech117

Pitching Temp ?

Ok so i been browsing some of the directions for the beers - however don't see anything on the temp to pitch yeast! 

I got a "Gift" From MR.Beer and its a stick on label for the LBK that has a check mark as to when to pitch the yeast, Last night brewing the American Porter I couldn't get the LBK WARM enough to pitch the yeast. After mixing my hot wort and pouring into the refrigerated water it was already too cool to pitch. I let it sit out by the oven and it sill didnt warm up in about 3 hours so I pitched the yeast anyways and put in the Fridge (With my controller keeping it at 20 deg C.) 

Anyone have any information as to when to pitch yeasts? By pitching when its colder how bad will it effect the beer (I know that cold can cause yeast to go dormant and hot makes it accelerate too quickly) but I was border line of having a check mark (with the MR beer sticker) I

Pitching yeast into cold water will not hurt it, only cause them to sleep.  When the wort warms up they will wake up and do their job of making u beer.  Pitching too hot causes yeast to stress out and cause off flavors.  Over 90ish, it kills them.

A pitch a bit too warm a lot  ....  no off flavors detected.  Not saying they're not there, I'm just probably not that discernint.

where did you mount the thermometer on the lbk?  you should've been right around the proper temp (68f-20c) just  by following the instructions.  too hot can also be fatal to the yeast,  too cold they just go to sleep like JohnDubya said

I see the question has been answered.

It doesn't hurt to pitch the yeast too cold (as stated). If you do, just know it will take it a while before it wakes up, and does it's thing.

and, as said, if it's too hot, it could stress the yeast, add off flavors, or just die. 90*F(30c?) is about the max you want to play with.

I think it's just safer to start colder, then allow it to warm up to fermenting temps than to do it too hot and wait for it to cool.

Ok thats what i was thinking at least with it cold it can warm up and Jim i mounted the thermometer to the side with a paper towel on the outside like you told me to do a few threads back - BTW I have a question for you check your inbox (If they still have messaging) 

Guess they dont - Jim On that DIY home brew controller - will it run my fridge on the cooling out let and my paint can heater on the heating outlet Toggeling between the two When temps go high or low ? 

Nevada is geting cold nights dropping my fridge down to 17 deg C and than durring the day it stays at a 20.5 deg C when the box clicks it onto the cooling side 

If you have the ST-1000 it will take the heater in the other plug to heat things up when it gets too cold.

But even if the fridge gets a bit chilly, (you have it outside?) The 2+ gallons of wort/beer should help maintain temps a little better than that in a insulated box?

Btech117 said:Guess they dont - Jim On that DIY home brew controller - will it run my fridge on the cooling out let and my paint can heater on the heating outlet Toggeling between the two When temps go high or low ? 

Nevada is geting cold nights dropping my fridge down to 17 deg C and than durring the day it stays at a 20.5 deg C when the box clicks it onto the cooling side 

it automatically switches heat or cold as needed