Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sambeerindia

Thanks BORG and Sold! on Yeast Washing and Starters

Hi,

about 5 months of brewing and into my 5th batch, I tried yeast washing yesterday.

Last evening, I bottled my amber ale and collected the slurry in the fermenter, let the trub settle and separated the yeast (and some of the earlier beer too).

I then added a little bit of DME (sort of became a "starter") and about 1 hr later, when my new batch's wort cooled down, pitched the starter. At the time, I could see slight activity in the starter. Then it was time for bed.

When I woke up 9 hrs later, I checked in on the fermenter. The top had half an inch of krausen already! Wow. When I had used the dry yeast in the previous batch, it took more than a day to see proper krausen formation. Maybe my washing and sanitation will leave room for improvement, but this only spurs me on to make washing a regular activity! With the way Indian currency is doing against the dollar, this will also restrain my homebrew costs from spiralling up!

Sold! Thanks BORG for the awesome advice and nurturing to the NOOBs. This forum is awesome not only for the expert advice but also the clean and supportive environment with complete absence of flaming and other such nonsense.

/Sam

That sounds pretty awesome!! I think I need to start washing my yeast as well! Thanks for the info on it, this is something that I am going to have to look into! 

It's good to see your positive results.  I have harvested my yeast for small test batches using a simple recipe for side-by-side comparison of yeasts, and reused a yeast cake from a Wyeast Belgian, and plan to do more yeast washing in the future.  Your method sounds easy but effective. 

Having watched both, I find useful discussions on both.  This forum can take its own course without members chasing other members away.