Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
agentguerry

Whats the latest on carbonation drops? 2013

What's the latest on the use of the Cooper carbonation drops?  Is there a difference between the two in these links?

One is 11$ and the other is 6$  

http://www.amazon.com/Coopers-Brew-Products-Carbonation-Drops/dp/B003E5ZYB8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1377479545&sr=8-1&keywords=cooper+sugar

http://www.amazon.com/Coopers-Carbonation-Drops/dp/B0064OALVO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1377479629&sr=8-3&keywords=carbonation+drops

Anyone use them, or is using loose priming sugar better?

I had been using just table sugar, but I wanted to try something else to see if it produces a cleaner taste.

I bottle to 12 oz. bottles by the way.

Thanks!

If you are using 12 oz bottles a much cheaper and easier option is Dominos Dots sugar cubes. Each cube is 1/2 tsp, which is just about right for most beers in 12 oz bottles. The Mr Beer suggestion of 3/4 tsp will over-carbonate.  Just drop one into each bottle. 

+1 to docpc.  I use Imperial sugar cubes from the grocery store.  They are very inexpensive and each is 1/2 teaspoon.  I use 1 cube in a 12-ounce bottle and 3 cubes in a 1-liter bottle.  I have always gotten good carbonation and have never had a bottle bomb.

Domino Dots have worked well for me, but be careful when buying--there are two kinds, 1/2 tsp cubes and 1 tsp cubes, and believe me, it makes a difference! The 1/2 tsp cubes are in a tall, skinny box, the 1 tsp cubes are in a shorter, wider box. They are obviously different when you see the cubes, but the box labeling is not so obvious. I've never seen any other kind of sugar cube in the local grocery stores.

Your answer to your question is what you posted as the answer :) - you won't tell any difference.  You should use the LEAST EXPENSIVE option.

Notwithstanding the fact that one looks orange, they should be the exact same thing. I posted a question on HBT a LONG time ago wondering about the CO2 volumes from Coopers drops, and out of the blue got this reply just a day or two ago (I'm pretty sure I figured it out at the time, but I figured what the hey, might be good to post it):

"Sorry old thread, but I was looking for this answer too. And was able to find it.

Coopers

drops (27% glucose and 73% Sucrose and carbonate) Contains just a total

of 3g-3.3g of sucrose so they produce 3.13-3.36 volumes per 355 or

3.04-3.06 in 740ml bottle"

Rather high carb for a twelve ounce bottle, but good for some styles.

The Coopers drops are perfect for 16 oz bottles.  Maybe too much for most beer styles in a 12 oz bottle.

I did not like the domino dots in my last batch.  It gave an extremely cidery taste, and I had to dump the bottles, it was so bad.

Ok. So I found 1/2 tsp. Domino Dots cubes in my local Publix.

So much easier, though I had to press some through the 12 oz bottles, lol.

Just bottled up some Patriot Lager tonight.  I'll let you know how it goes.

I'm not sure what happened to losman26's beer, and of course we all hate to see someone have to toss out a batch.  But it was definitely NOT the carbonating sugar.  I have carbonated 625 bottles of beer with Imperial cane sugar cubes and have never had a flavor or carbonation issue.

I agree. I have used cane sugar for 70+ batches with no flavor issues. Cidery taste is usually just young beer or excessive use of non malt adjuncts.