Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ChefThom

Mexican Cerveza tweak

I have a deluxe refill of Mexican Cerveza on it's way. I am planning on tweaking it with some lime peel I picked up at my new found local beer store. 1 oz. packet just like hops come. Any ideas? Hop sack into boiling before adding wort or toss in LBK before pitching the yeast.

In kegs

Chocolate Porter

Oatmeat Stout

In bottles

Biere de Saison

American Ale

Mexican Cerveza

Hi Cheftom, personally, I would boil the lime peel for 5 to 10 minutes. 1 oz may also be a bit overpowering in a 2.13 gal batch, but then again, it may not. In any case, I tend to shy on the conservative side with flavors, and I would suggest 1/2 oz. I can't stress the impact of "less is more" in a recipe design. Hinted flavors can be much more pleasant than flavors overpowering everything else and punching you in the face.

I agree with Samueld here.  The 1 oz packets are generally used in 5 gallon batches.  If it tastes too light to you on drinking day, add a fresh lime wedge to your glass and update your notes to increase the amount on your next batch.  On batches where I've used fresh lime zest, I've used right about 1/2 oz, give or take a little.  I've also gone both the boiling route and straight into the LBK, although, because I do use fresh lime zest, I would dip my limes in One-Step before zesting.  Since this is packaged lime peel from the LHBS, you'd probably still be ok, but the safe bet is to go ahead and boil in water for 5 to 10 minutes.  Don't boil in the HME.

Good luck and I hope it turns out the way you want.

Rick

I bow to the wisdom of the collective and will  do 1/2 an ounce. I have a very good digital kitchen scale. And I'll let it sit in the boiling water before I add anything else.