Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ZeeBeer

Juniper Rye Bock - Infusion question

I am planning of brewing a Juniper Rye Bock in the next couple of weeks hopefully to be ready in time for Christmas.  And I was wondering for the mash if I should use a single infusion, a step infusion with protein rest, or a multistep infusion starting at ~105F-~130-~150- and mash out at 168F.  Another alternative would be to use decoction but I am a bit hesitant to try it as I have not done it before.  I'm using a 3 gallon cooler mash tun.

Here is the recipe stats for LBK size batch ~2.4gallon

Grain 6.5lbs

Munich 3.75#

German Pilsener Malt 1.25#

Rye Malt 0.75#

Midnight Wheat Malt 0.25#

Light DME 0.5# added to boil

1 oz Hallertauer 60 min boil

2 oz Juniper berries in mash

1 oz Juniper berries 60 min boil

1 oz Juniper berries 5 min boil

German Bock Lager yeast

1.073 OG; 26IBU; dark amber color

Wow, this sounds like quite a brew! Even though you're not using much of it, I would still do a protein rest since you are using rye malt. I can't really think of a reason for the 105 F – Isn't that a ferulic acid rest? I'm sure you've got a reason for it. You could try decoction if you want, but I don't think you will get much out of it, considering there is already so much going on in this brew. In other words, I don't think its worth the labor. I am convinced that decoction is only necessary for Hefeweizens and if you are going hardcore making a pilsner from nothing but pilsner malt. Otherwise, specialty malts (including your munich malt) can do all the work decoction does for you.

If I was in your shoes, this is what I would do. Start with 130 F 10 minutes → 155-158 F around 45 min (For more full bodied dextrins considering the Bock style) → 162 F 10 minutes (Great for promoting head retention), and mash out 168F.

Also, I've never messed with Juniper berries in a brew before, so maybe I'm not one to speak, but intution tells me that 4 oz of it seems like a crap load to use in a 2.4 gal batch. Anyone else know?

This is a scaled down version from Randy Mosher's Radical Brewing recipe.  According to him it takes a lot of Juniper berries as they can be weak in flavor.

Good to know. Did Randy Mosher suggest that mash schedule? I'm curious about the 105 F step.

Its a traditional step infusion for the Sahti style beers.  I was considering trying it but I believe I will just stick with a protein rest and then bring up to 154-155.  Do you think a 10 min protein rest would be long enough or should I let it sit for 30 min?