Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
CaptainBeer

No rinse cleanser

Regarding the cleanser that comes with the Mr. Beer kits...

To cut back on brewing/bottling time, I was planning to mix up the cleanser about 24 hours in advance. Is it still good to use 24 hours later? I know Star San is good for a few weeks, but wasn't sure about the Mr. Beer powdered cleanser. I want to make it up the night before to save time. I find that it takes FOREVER to dissolve as well.

Yes I do this all the time because it takes a long time to dissolve. I put in half the pack in a gallon water jug (think plastic milk jug) and then a cup of water, cap it and shake the heck out of it for a while to make a slurry, and then add the rest of the water to that. It seems to speed up the process some. One Step is good for a few days I think. StarSan is good as long as the PH is 3.5 or less. It lasts a looong time. Way more than a month. 

For that amount of time it most likely wont be active enough. I think the cleaner is good for up to about 8 hours. After that it starts to lose some of its abilities in sanitation. It can be a pain, but I would still just mix as you are doing it just to be save, sanitation is not a place to take shortcuts no one wants an infection in there batch. That makes everyone sad. img51263a0c19dd2.gif I have found that the more batches I brew the longer I spend on sanitizing everything just to make sure that it is fully clean.   

The funny thing is I remember a few of us saved OneStep for week(s) until we realized that it would lose its effectiveness.  And not one of us has a problem.  Best thing about beer is it is amazingly forgiving.  However, I would not want to take the chance of even one batch being ruined.

To cut down on the dissolve time I generally use warm/hot water for about a 1/3 of a gallon, shake the beejeepers outta it, add a 1/3 of cold, shake, and then top off.  Seems to dissolve right up and the water is cool enough to safely be used in the LBK.  Recently I started using StarSan for brewing and OneStep for bottling since I tend to make a mess when bottling and dont want StarSan all over the place (and me).

8 hours is not correct.  One Step / Easy Clean (they are virtually the same product) will keep for a week in an airtight container (i.e. spray bottle).  In addition, if you refrigerate it, that helps keep its potency - but make sure to let it warm up before you use it.

I've found the best way to use it is to put it in my slimline with a gallon of warm water and shake it up.  Let it sit 15 minutes, come back, shake it again.  Within 15 minutes more minutes it is totally dissolved.

So, to answer the question, you COULD mix it up and then use it the next day.  Or, you could mix it up, let it dissolve, use it, then use it again a few days later with no problem.

I use to bottle on day one and brew on day two and use the same batch.  Now, since I bottle two batches and then brew two batches I just make a fresh batch.

I'm rather glad I asked. Saving time is one thing, but cutting corners is another. I'll just make it up an hour or so before I need it. I guess if I'm really excited, I could make up some Star San, which I have a jug of.

So it looks like I got a little confused about the No Rinse Cleanser looking at some old notes, I have always been under the assumption that it was good for 8 to 24 hours that is not true. So we just contacted the manufacturer and got some more information. It turns out that the solution of No-Rines cleanser is good for about a week. When the cleaner is dissolved, it releases peroxides, or “active oxygen” - just think of hydrogen peroxide. In order for the solution to be effective as a sanitizer, it needs an active oxygen content of 800 ppm. Freshly mixed No-Rinse cleanser (mixing rate of about 1 tablespoon per gallon) has an active oxygen content of 1000 ppm. The manufacturers tested a solution of it for about a week, and after about 7 days the concentration dropped down to only 980 ppm. Since they didn't test the solution any further than a week, I wouldn't suggest keeping it longer than that, since the concentration will diminish exponentially. Also, the solution should be kept at room temp, sealed, and most importantly out of light, because that degrades the active oxygen content the quickest.

So is StarSan basically the same thing as as Mr. Beers no rinse cleanser? Or is a no rinse cleanser something that is exclusive with Mr. Beer?

I have had no problems dissolving the no rinse sanitizer. I use super hot water fro the tap and it mixes right up with a minimum of stirring.

There are many products on the market for homebrewers to clean and sanitize their equipment.  Mr. Beer's "no rinse cleanser" may be One Step or Easy Clean, both of which require 10 minutes of soaking to sanitize equipment - in other words they buy a cleanser in packets created for them.  Storage of the solution isn't recommended unless it's airtight and ideally in a refrigerator, and then use it within a week.

StarSan is a sanitizer also.  It works in 30 seconds.  It can be stored for long periods and is much cheaper.  However, it is harsher and if you leave it sit on a surface like a wood floor will possibly stain it.  And it foams up quite a bit, but "don't fear the foam".  

Interestingly, Northern Brewer sells One Step in their catalogue and they state that it requires 2 minutes of contact time. Wonder what's up with that as MB says 10 minutes?

Well I guess I will have to get some star sane ASAP. I have not been using this MB cleaner correctly then. so far no buggi boo's but I guess I have been lucky so far.

Nice I think the next time I hit up my brewer shop Im a grab a bag of StarSan, Im sure it cheaper than the no rinse cleansers from mr beer.