Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Brownstown Brewer

Classic American Light - can I add flavors?

Hi folks, new to this, so please bear with me!

I bought 3 Mr Beer kits with the CAL for $9.95 ea. Quite a deal huh!? Will be batch priming and bottling my first batch this weekend. So excited!

So now I have two more complete kits ready to go, and was thinking I might shake it up a bit and experiment with a little flavor. My initial thoughts were the standard lemon, orange, or lime. But i love a challenge and started thinking more outside the box. I think a slight vanilla flavor might be cool, or even an apple/cinnamon flavor.

My question is about adding the flavor. I assume it's done during the fermentation process? How to add the flavor, fruit slices, purees, juices? In the case of the vanilla would I use the sticks, beans, or extract?

Any help is greatly appreciated by this newbie!

Thanks!

(BTW, just received my order of Pumpkin Weissbier. That will be my next batch that I'll start this weekend. I noticed it calls for seeping spices and pumpkin puree. Is that a clue as to my above question?)

Depends on what you are looking to accomplish. MB has the fruit going into the fermenter with the wort. But usually the yeast will feed on surgery stuff and can produce a different flavor. So you can wait a few days and add then, or I have even heard of some people adding at bottling. Also be sure to boil and cool you fruit so you don't get an infection in the beer. And lastly with citrus use only the zest , juice or an extract not the whole fruit the white pith will be very sour.

Its your beer so have fun with types and flavors you like!

he's right but you can also get extracts from your lhbs and add it at bottling.  some say it gives more of a fruit taste. i have not use it, but have drank 2 hb wheats one strawberry and the other blackberry extract. both were good imo.  while brewing go to http://howtobrew.com/ and read it is palmer's first edition ( i think he's on his 4th now) but still full of good to know information and free to read(always a plus).

Thanks guys for all the advice. I ended up adding about 3 TBL's of double strength vanilla extract while batch priming. I'm enjoying them now! A nice subtle vanilla flavor in the background. For my next CAL batch I added 4 small jars of apple baby food and four cinnamon sticks to the mix. It's been fermenting for 3 weeks and just took a taste. Great! Will batch prime and bottle it this weekend. This is fun!

Just added it to add the apple flavor. Being baby food it's pure apple puree with no sugar or anything else added. Same with the cinnamon sticks, just pure cinnamon with no sugar or chemicals. I guess it is an apple ale then.