Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
alf2617

Batch #5 bottled and my new DIY project

I just bottled my 5th batch today, the Bohemian Bronze. The sample tasted really good! I can't wait until this one is ready to go. I still have some of my Blue Patriot left, so hopefully I can hold off for 4-5 weeks(at least). After I finished bottling and cleaning up, I made a wort chiller. I used 20 feet of 3/8" copper coil, 20 feet of tubing(cut in half), 5 hose clamps, and a garden hose adapter. It's certainly not a work of art, but I think it will get the job done. I'm brewing my first 5 gallon batch next weekend, and I'm planning to do a full volume boil(I have a 9 gallon SS brew kettle), so the wort chiller seemed like a no-brainer. I leak tested it after I finished, and it works! Have a great weekend, everyone!

Wort chiller pic

It's good to read about your wort chiller; I've been seriously considering a similar project, and if yours works as intended I'm a little more confident that I can build one that does. I'm just dipping my toes into the all-grain ocean, and I can see that a wort chiller will be a good thing to have. Thanks for mentioning it!

alf, just a little heads up...

if you're doing that outside, try not to drain into a grassy area... unless you want that grass cooked.

also, don't turn your hose on too much.. no point in blasting thru the water... you want a nice slow run so that the water/heat exchange works. if you run the water thru too fast, it won't work as well.

Congrats to the step up.

The Nong.

Yankeedag, I'm going to be brewing inside. I'm planning to use the water from the wort chiller to do laundry(I think someone else on the forum originally suggested this). And I will definitely keep an eye on the flow rate when I'm cooling the wort. Thanks for the tip! 

I finally did it! I brewed a 5 gallon batch last Friday. I brewed the Liberty Cream Ale(a Midwest Supplies recipe)Brew day went smoothly, but I definitely took notes that should help me with the next batch. I'm looking forward to bottling this one in a few weeks, and then moving on to my next batch. I'm thinking of trying the Caribou Slobber recipe from Northern Brewer.

Brew Kettle pic

Fermenter pic

Awesome! Only a matter of time before you're spending a bundle on kegging equipment. ; )

That's a nice looking chiller. Not as long as the one I got as a gift, but it looks a heck of a lot better made.

oly said:Awesome! Only a matter of time before you're spending a bundle on kegging equipment. ; )

That's a nice looking chiller. Not as long as the one I got as a gift, but it looks a heck of a lot better made.

Thanks, Oly! I actually made it myself a few months ago from plans I found online(Son of Fermentation chiller). I had to use a lot of Liquid Nails to fill in some gaps, and then I covered the seams with foil tape, but it actually holds temps pretty well. As for a kegging setup, I would definitely go for it if I had the space, but I don't think it's an option for me yet.

Fermentation Chiller

Fermentation Chiller(open)