Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jastew

CAL Premiere

My daughter and her fiancé gave me my Mr

Beer kit as a gift and they're coming in this weekend for a visit. My first

batch will be at 5 weeks in bottle this Sat so I'm looking forward to a nice unveiling

with some smoked ribs and corn on the cob.

Anyway I can screw up at this point if I haven't already?

With 5 weeks in the bottle you should be good to go. I am sure that they will really enjoy it. Who does not like a nice cold homebrew!

I'd test one first, Seems alot of people say 8 weeks.....Im at 8 and green taste is finally starting to go away........

5 weeks you should be good to go. Through some in the frig for at least 24 hours, a week is better if you can.

5 weeks is good.  6 weeks is better. 7 weeks is better yet...IOW, your beer will always get better as it conditions at room temp in the bottle.

Also, I'm going to assume you bottled into the Mr. Beer liter bottles.  If that is correct, when you pour you beer do it slowly and steadily.  If you stop the pour because one glass is full and you need to pour into another carefully stop the pour and carefully start it again while trying not to disturb the trub layer at the bottom of the bottle.  Watch through the bottle and when you see what looks like icky crud heading down the neck stop pouring.  That is the trub and while it won't hurt per se it can make you keep close to the "john" and, worse than that, give your beer an undesirable taste.

P.S.  I hope I'm not too late with this advise but I fear I may be.

First taste - not bad but not outstanding. A little "fizzy" tasting, sort of like soda water.

I assume more time in the bottle at room temp might help?

We opened one liter and shared it (no trub issues) but I have another two bottles still in the fridge.  Can I take those out and let them "steep" some more are room temp or should I leave it in the fridge?

IF it's CAL, then more time in the bottle may or may not help.  It's a pretty weak brew.  

Yes, you can remove bottles from the frig, and start the conditioning clock 24 hours later.  I routinely do that when I put in a new brew, then a few weeks later I haven't drank all of them, I remove them, note the date, and then put them at the back of the inventory to age more.  Once I get past 12 weeks I don't rotate stock.  Much of what I have in the frig is 20+ weeks now.

I'm inclined to think that your CAL is as good as it's going to get. My impression is that it's intended to be easy, forgiving, and produce a beer that will seem familiar to most people. 

Try a Bewitched Amber or an Oktoberfest and I think you'll be amazed at the difference.

I picked up a Nut Brown Ale and a Bewitched Amber Ale at the last sale. Going to brew one this weekend.