Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
tbwrangler2000

Oktoberfest

I made my first batch of Oktoberfest with the deluxe refill and it tastes awesome.I cold crashed it for 3 days and let it condition for 5 weeks before trying one.What I got was a nice sweet tasting beer with a great head and a nice aroma.I will be brewing this one again.

I'm going to get to brew the Deluxe Refill soon. My last batch was very good, but I did the regular refill and added my own DME.

I just started my first batch of Oktoberfest yesterday.  It is the deluxe refill.  How long did you let yours ferment?  My airlock is going crazy today on day 2.  I'm hoping that I'll al least be able to sample a few on my daughter's first birthday party which is Oct. 24th.

I brewed the Oktoberfest deluxe back in May. I left it in the LBK for three weeks, then let it condition for six weeks and then put it in the refrigerator for about a week before I drank it. Turned out awesome. I'm gonna crack open my last bottle of it this weekend. Pretty excited to see how it tastes after almost two additional months of conditioning. 

I brewed mine a month ago.  Added a cup of brown sugar and a cup of clover honey.  In the primary for 3 weeks and then racked to a secondary to batch condition for 3 weeks.  Plan to bottle condition for 3 more.  It is smelling great so far.

I know this is an old topic but I just finished making my first brew of the Oktoberfestivus recipe.  Looks good...but I've got a question while I wait 3 weeks for fermenting and 4 weeks (or more likely 6 weeks) for conditioning....

The Oktoberfest Lager Deluxe refill comes with the 1.87 lb can and 8.8 ounces of liquid malt extract (LME-Smooth).  The instructions give an ABV of 4.7%.  But when I put these ingredients into Qbrew I get 4.2%.

However, the Oktoberfestivus recipe uses the 1.87 lb can but includes 7.5 ounces of dry malt extract (DME-Smooth) along with 1/2 ounce of the Hallertau hops.  The Mr. Beer recipe gives 4.2% ABV for this while the Qbrew gives an ABV of 4.1% for this recipe.

I was wondering why I'm 1/2 percent off when I calculate the Oktoberfest Lager Deluxe refill recipe?  Either I'm too tired tonight to do it right or Qbrew is off or Mr. Beer is listing an old ABV for the Oktoberfest Lager Deluxe refill recipe.

It has been answered before (RickBeer, etc.) that the LME behaves the same as the DME.  But is 8.8 ounces of Mr. Beer LME equivalent to 7.5 ounces of Mr. Beer DME with regards to ABV contribution?  The Mr. Beer product descriptions seem to say "yes" but I'm just thrown off by the 4.7% ABV using the LME versus the 4.2% ABV using the DME with the Mr. Beer Oktoberfest HME product.

Thanks!

12 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

1# DME is worth 1.25# LME, conversely 1# LME is worth .9# DME

That's close to the ratio of 8.8 oz of LME to 7.5 oz of DME that Mr. Beer sells in packages.  But why the 4.7% ABV versus 4.2% ABV in these two Oktoberfest recipes?

Because the 4.7% is wrong. All the base Mr. Beer cans come in at 3.1% (except when Josh brews them).  Add 8.8 oz of LME or 7.5 oz of DME and you get another point, maybe 1.1.

The formulas I was taught for DME and LME are a bit different than what Jim posted, but it is slight.

1 lb DME = 1.25 lbs LME

1 lb LME = .8 lbs DME

• Like 1

the AIH's octoberfest/marzen recipe I've got kegged is some real good stuff!, this year I actually brewed it in march and got a keg of it for this fall, should be a winner!