Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
JoBoo

I'm sure this is a repeat.....

I am certain this has been asked a lot, but where is the cheapest place to get refil kits?  I have been scouring the Internet and by the time you add shipping, everyone ends up about the same.

Mr. Beer's flat shipping rate of $7.95 is a pretty good deal when you have a nice size order.  Typically, I'd order 3 or 4 refills/recipes at a time and possibly even throw in a few accessories that I needed at the time.  Also keep an eye out for MrB specials and limited time offers that can also help you save.  Harder on the pocketbook when you hit that checkout button, but you'll be setup in refills for a good while.

If you have a local home brew store close by, you might check and see if they carry MrB refills.  My LHBS does and I've picked up a few this way as well.

Rick

They also have sales here and there, you can save (like now) 25% off.  But never on shipping...

In January, checkout Sears, Bed Bath and Beyond, Walgreen's, etc. as they clear out the kits and refill packs (not a large variety, but the "International Packs" show up - Oktoberfest and Aztec, and then Patriot and Classic American.  

I bought two kits for $12.49 with bottles and a CAL in January.

Bed Bath & Beyond can have discounts starting right after Christmas, then decreasing over time if there are any left.  Amazon's Prime gives free shipping, but the price is not always great.  On Mr Beer's site, you will find sales, and then buy a few HMEs or other things to spread out the shipping cost. 

you may not have any place local,  like me in columbus ga.. your right about s&h it'll kill you.  i'm disabled and on a fixed income so i had to go with option 2 as the cheapest over all.  1) you can go to the local lhbs and buy their kit(s) if it's a 5 gallon kit just split it.  2)  read howtobrew.com (it's free) esp the second part and buy dme/lme, hops and yeast from your lhbs and brew your own recipes. only buy special MrB like a seasonals when they come out. 

Jim is right, malt extract is much less expensive in a can or jug from the LHBS, and hops are not too expensive (and you can grow them pretty cheaply!). There has been much written about reusing yeast. The big advantage of buying refills rather than ingredients is that someone who knows a lot more about the subject than I do has done the development work. MB's sales and flat rate shipping can make buying pretty affordable, That said, there's a batch fermenting now and only the yeast came from MB; the extract came from the LHBS in a 1.5 Kg can and the hops I grew. Total cost is pretty low. Whether it will be drinkable may be another question--I'll let the borg know in about a month.

Jim, we already know you're no idiot, and while I'm sure I can do it, I don't always get things right on the first try. I did just bottle that batch, and it seems promising.

pspearing said:Jim, we already know you're no idiot, and while I'm sure I can do it, I don't always get things right on the first try. I did just bottle that batch, and it seems promising.

yeah?  wish you'd tell swmbo :-D

If you have amazon prime you get free shipping. Check there, also from time to time sales on the website occur. Also when you register you kit they will send you a discount offer with it.

Back in December I think it was I got the "American Series" refill, CAL and American Lager, from the Walgreen's website for $19.95.  I used my ebates accounts with it so I got a percentage cash back plus they had free shipping for any orders over $25.  If you don't already have an ebates account, join.  You can simply log on to their site, do a search for "Mr. Beer" and they'll check all kinds of stores and show you the prices.