Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
twyjad

pumpkin beer

My suggestion is to look at the Recipe section of the Mr Beer web site for ideas.  The Pumpkin Spice Ale, Pumpkin Weissbier, and Punkin Lager all look simple and tasty.  Your choice would depend on your choice of the base style, which the HME provides. 

If you use canned pumpkin make sure to use a grain bag to keep the trub down and account for it when you add the water as it can take up a lot of space.  Me personally I roast pumpkin pieces in the oven with some brown sugar, but this will require you to boil those for a hour or so to extract the fermentables and flavor.  But as Foothiller suggested take a gander at the recipes for something you may like.

When we reformulated our pumpkin recipes last year we cut down on the amount of pumpkin used so you wouldn't have all the trub that the older recipes produced. instead of using 1 can per batch 1 cup to 10 oz still added the pumpkin punch but alleviated all that gunk on the bottom to try to bottle around. One thing that has made a distinct impact on the pumpkin recipes we've been testing this summer has been how you prepare the pumpkin. This is the paragraph from the original article in "Serious Eats" that fostered the change:

"One thing that most brewers agree on is that the flavors come out the best if the pumpkin is cooked and caramelized. Whether you're chopping and mashing the pumpkin yourself, or you get it out of the can, it should be spread in a thin pan and baked for at least 60 minutes at 350°F. This will allow the sugars to start to cook, and give the beer the pumpkiny character that we're aiming for."

Give this method a try and see if it wrings all that great gourd flavor into your beer.

Great tip. I'd heard to cook whole pumpkin, but always assumed the canned pumpkin was cooked already. Now I have an idea why my pumpkin beer wasn't very pumpkiny, even with four cans of puree.

I always had this same problem too, Oly. And for years threw more and more pumpkin at it, then with cutting the amount last year to alleviate all the excess gunk to have to bottle around we were tried to strip it back to retain the pumpkin flavor but reduce the gunk. We found that as little as a cup per gallon still yielded the same flavor, so we went looking for other alternatives to pump (as it were) up the flavor, and stumbled on this. I also read an article about a certain type of pumpkin and cooking it from scratch but can't find the article or the type, but the thing that did stick was it was essentially the same method for prep, and this seems to be the key. it makes sense with the caramelization being the catalyst. Let us know how yours comes out!

This is good stuff here.  I also found that all my pumpkin flavor escaped from my final product.  I look forward to trying this out.  This is a golden nugget.

Joe, I havent tried roasting puree yet but I will say roasting the whole pumpkin in brown sugar definitely pulls the flavour out.  I have gotten nothing but rave reviews including from SWMBO that will not drink any "dark" beers except for "her" peanutbutter stout.  As always with my seasonals being slightly behind I plan on kicking one out this weekend now that I have a break from tailgating.

@ Diane B...I'll bet the pumpkin recommended in the article you read was a sugar pumpkin.  They make great pies and are not much bigger than a softball.   I looked for one at the grocery yesterday, but they only had the big ones.  

When you boil the pieces for an hour do you add more water to maintain the 8 cups of water once you boil out some from the longevity?