Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
inovativdesign

Raspberry Wheat - Seeds

First off, new to brewing and the forums.  Czech Pilsner is bottled and priming and now I'm 2+ weeks into my second brew which I chose the Raspberry Wheat.  I followed the instruction on pureeing the fruit and syrup together, but there was no mentioning of straining the seeds out before adding to the wort.  I plan on cold crashing the in the refridge 2 days before bottling... will this help the seeds settle or should I look to try to strain (with sanitized strainer) while bottling to avoid seeds?

Next time I should probably strain the seeds before adding to wort, correct?  Either right away or 7 days in from what I'm readying.

With the recipes that have Raspberry's the seeds will mostly settle to the bottom along with the trub, the fact that you are cold crashing though will really help all those seeds settle. I would not strain it the cold crashing should be fine. I have made a few raspberry beers, and I have not had issues with the seeds so far.

I concur with Robert on this.  I've made the "Mountain Raspberry" recipe 3 times and did not have any issues with seeds.  In fact, I was able to use my bottling wand when bottling these.

I do believe you'll like this brew.  I was pleasantly surprised at how well the "Mountain Raspberry" turned out.  Received quite a few complements on it, even from those who are not keen on beer.

I hope it turns out well for you.

Rick

You will NOT want to strain the wort after fermentation as it will aerate the wort which is not good at this stage.  All will be good.  Worst case you will get a little on the bottom of the bottle but it should be left with the yeast.