Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
jastew

West Coast Pale Ale

Was this something MB discontinued? Someone nearby is selling a new kit for cheap with this included.

The West Coast Pale Ale is from the Mr. Beer old refills before we changed to use the Coopers, those refills we no longer carry, we do have ones that are close to old ones though but since all of those are gone most stores are selling them for a cheap price. Everything is still fine to use as long as the cans are not expired.

It's a decent refill.  A little light in body for my taste.  It actually makes a great base to build on.  I'd use the small can of HME and the bag of booster it comes with, but then I'd add a good half pound of malt to it, either liquid or dry.  Then you'd have a really nice beer with good body, I think.  It has enough hops in it to carry that extra malt, but if you happen to like a lot of hops, just use the extra malt first to do a little hop boil and add the HME at the end so you don't boil out the hops already in it. 

[edit] - Forgot to say, the whole point is this..... if you can get it cheap, then go for it!  You'll be glad.

I'll always have a soft spot for the WCPA. It was my first brew. Not the greatest, but damnit, I made it!.

Ask for the expiration date on the can before you buy it. It may be darker than you think with the age it likely is, and use it soon for the best result! You'll still have all the equipment to use for future batches.

As stated, this was the default brew in kits, like Classic American Ale is now.  If you're getting an LBK with bottles for $10 then just check the dates.  I got one like that.  And two more NEW kits, with bottles and refills, last January for $12.49 at Walgreen's...

Yep.  The LBK and the set of bottles are worth $10 each, even on a good sale day.  This is a no-brainer.  I hope you're able to get it.  And I hope the beer is still good, which odds are 99.99% it is.  Even if it's past expiration, it may not be as good as it once was, but it's still beer.  

Thanks to all.  It's a deal at $15.

Does anyone happen to have the flavor profile for it so I can know what to expect?

It sounds like you found a great deal!  For WCPA's flavor profile, my notes show that if you add about 1/2 lb of light DME or LME, and are brewing 2 gallons, i would have 22 IBU, a color of 4 SRM when fresh (could be darker now, with age), and original gravity of about 1.045 including the added extract.