Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
gwan

Beer Head

So I am almost done reading the, "The Home Brewers Answer Book," and I have one question on my mind. Does beer head retention make or break your beer enjoyment?

I personally enjoyed Marzen last night that had almost no head.

gwan wrote:

So I am almost done reading the, "The Home Brewers Answer Book," and I have one question on my mind. Does beer head retention make or break your beer enjoyment?

I enjoy the large, full, creamy, head that I have been getting since I started priming with honey.

It doesn't matter to me and I never understood the head hoopla. If it's good, I just drink it.

rniles wrote:

It doesn't matter to me and I never understood the head hoopla. If it's good, I just drink it.

LOL. I have a Red I'm just starting to drink in which I cut back my carbing sugar by 1/4 and it still has to be poured in two pours! The only thing I can figure is I might have bottled a little early. But I agree. Flavor first. The head is merely an indicator of the carb in the brew which CAN affect flavor. Also head can give off a nice aroma.

gwan wrote:

You know that "Beer Head" would be a really good band name. I can just imagine the CD cover artwork, or the video.

I want 7.3% off the back end of all proceeds.

My Midlands Mild Ale and Vienna Ale have NO head. I wish they did! I never met a head I didn't like.

I prefer head over no head.

SweetLuu wrote:

My Midlands Mild Ale and Vienna Ale have NO head. I wish they did! I never met a head I didn't like.

WELL SAID!

As someone mentioned in an earlier post, the head releases aromas. I just think it looks cool and pouring and looking at the beer is part of the fun. But I dont think its a deal breaker as to whether or not you made a great beer.

I agree that flavor is most important...but, there is just something special about pouring a beer, admiring the beautiful head & thinking "I made that myself". :chug:

Sham Addams wrote:

gwan wrote:

Back ended again. :laugh:

Does that happen to you often?

Of the 5 batches I've made, the only one with good head retention has been the standard wheat refill that I added 2/3 cup of honey to. Did the honey help the head or is this coincidence?

norman1 wrote:

Of the 5 batches I've made, the only one with good head retention has been the standard wheat refill that I added 2/3 cup of honey to. Did the honey help the head or is this coincidence?

Wheat helps head retention. Honey (when used as a carbing agent NOT as part of the brew) is reputed to give finer bubbles but I have just started drinking a Red that has such small fine bubbles it looks as though I have a bubble bath going. I'm going to try to remember to get a shot but I am able to pour so that the head will actually stand up 2 inches above the glass. There is no honey in the brew so I attribute it to the heavy hop load as I get much the same in my IPA. Next time I will cut way back on both on the carb sugar end...

mcgrewc wrote:

Sham Addams wrote:

gwan wrote:

Back ended again. :laugh:

Does that happen to you often?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I think a good head is impressive, but not necessary.

My WCPA hasn't had a good head on a single bottle yet. But that has done little to diminish my enjoyment of it.

Another nice thing about a beer with a good head is that is protects the beer from the air around us. Needless too say that is a good thing if your a slow drinker! BIG IF right :woohoo: Brew on!

djt17 wrote:

I agree that flavor is most important...but, there is just something special about pouring a beer, admiring the beautiful head & thinking "I made that myself". :chug:

LOL - I do that anyways!

SweetLuu wrote:

as a man, i completely agree!! :ohmy: