Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kds111

Pumpkin Lager Question

Hello All,

I've got a 3 week old pumpkin lager in the lbk.

There are still little bits floating and it is still not clear yet.

My four other varieties I've done are by week 3.

The taste is standard flat beer, not much pumpkin flavor but a little spice note.

What does the board recommend?

I recommend you purchase a hydrometer and tube and learn how to use them.

In the absence of that, bottle at 3 weeks.  If you're concerned about things floating, put it in the frig for at least 3 days to cold crash.  Also make sure you have a few CD cases or similar under the front of the keg, so that the trub flows away from the spout.

Cold crashing allows things to settle and also solidifies the trub, allowing you to bottle even more of the brew before the trub hits the spigot.  When bottling, do NOT let the LBK warm up, just bottle it right after you remove it from the frig.

I also recommend batch priming.

I just botttled a batch of this last week. Lots of floaties in there. I don't know if cold crashing would help or not it but I'm 99 percent sure it's the pumkin puree.

I just bottled my Punkin' Lager  this weekend after cold crashing for three days.  The batch was pretty clear until the last bottle where I could see some pumpkin puree flowing down the bottling wand after tipping the back end of the LBK up to fill the bottle.

Pumpkin Beers are one of my favorite.  Last spring I decided I wanted to make Pumpkin Rising to see if I'd like it or would want to tweek it for the fall.  I used 1/2 Tspn Ginger 1/4 tspn Cinnamon 1/4 tspn All spice and a pinch of ground cloves.

After about a week of fermenting, I added 1/2 tspn nutmeg, 1 tspn of Pumpkin Spice Extract, 3 cinnamon sticks and the 10oz of 100% Pure Pumpkin(not Libbys).

I let it condition for about 6 weeks.  it didn't turn out too bad but I was looking for something closer to Jack-O-Travelers or The Blue Moon Harvest Pumpkin.  Something a little less bitter and more pumpkin flavor.

A lot of ppl enjoyed it though.  

This time around i'm keeping the same recipe but using the Oktoberfest Extract instead of the Bewitched Amber Ale...based mostly on the bitterness scale.  

(pics are of the first batch)

Addy's Punkin Head Ale (my daughter)

post-67015-0-33369100-1439992169_thumb.j

post-67015-0-90253500-1439992178_thumb.j

• Like 3

Last year I brewed a pumpkin beer using Octoberfest. I baked the pumpkin as you would for pumpkin rising. I used the whole can and 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice. Added everything on brew day. Tasted like Sam Adams pumpkin beer with more of a spice flavor.

Last year I brewed a pumpkin beer using Octoberfest. I baked the pumpkin as you would for pumpkin rising. I used the whole can and 1 tablespoon of pumpkin pie spice. Added everything on brew day. Tasted like Sam Adams pumpkin beer with more of a spice flavor.

I brewed the Pumpkin Lager recipe on 8/12 subbing pumpkin spice for mulling spices. I stuck to 8-10oz of pumpkin puree. It's not giving off much of a pumpkin smell from the LBK, so I'm hoping it's a relatively subtle pumpkin/spice flavor when it's ready. Very excited for it!

I made one last year with 8 oz pumpkin, tasted too much of pumpkin. Even after 6 month did not really like it. Have heard suggestion to bake it to caramelize first.

Also too spicy.

Prior year made one using 1 tsp powdered pie spice and added a tsp ground ginger, I liked that better.

I have had nice "Pumpkin beer "commercially made that actually had no pumpkin in it but tasted great.

I brewed the Pumpkin Lager recipe on 8/12 subbing pumpkin spice for mulling spices. I stuck to 8-10oz of pumpkin puree. It's not giving off much of a pumpkin smell from the LBK, so I'm hoping it's a relatively subtle pumpkin/spice flavor when it's ready. Very excited for it!

when i made the pumpkin rising, i added more spices that you'd find in a pumpkin pie..so in the end my beer tasted a little more like cinnamon and nutmeg than pumpkin..but there was a hint of pumpkin there.  Kinda the taste I was going for but using the Bewitched Amber Ale made it a little too bitter, so i'm hoping the switch to Oktoberfest will help...it says it has 9 less points on the bitterness score than the Amber.  

also, Ravens suck ;) GO STEELERS!

• Like 1