Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Beerbear

Using the LBK in the Future

As I advance as a brewer, and want to experiment with different ingredients, or even try an all-grain/part-grain set-up, will I be able to utilize the LBK to brew manageable batches? Everyone always says, "you'll move on to 5-gallon set-ups pretty quickly," to me, but I like how manageable the two-gallon system is being just about a case of beer per batch. Am I wrong, and will I come around to 5-gallon batches?

When you move on to extract and then to all grain, you can still use your LBK. If you have a 5 gal recipe, you can either cut the recipe in half or get a second LBK and split the 5gal into 2 LBK. Either way you want to fill your LBK to the bottom of the word "QUART".

Thanks for the reply! If I were to use the extract for two LBK brews, the leftovers wouldn't be wasted would they? Easily used for another recipe?

A 5 gallon batch  divides nicely into 2 LBKs; there's enough headspace that 2 1/2 gallons will ferment in it with no trouble. The LBK is a convenient size. That would allow you to run some experiments, too--dry hop one but not the other, or use different yeasts, different fermentation temperatures, or whatever appeals to you.

That's good to know! I'm really excited to try different things... that's the whole point of brewing my own (to me anyway).

Generally the only problem with halving the recipes is storing the unused portions.

The LME portion can be left in the can, for storage. it's best to add a thin layer of cheap vodka to keep gobbies from growing on the LME.

if you're also using specialty grains, if they are pre-ground, well, they go stale after a wee bit.

so, if you have enough fermenters, do the whole batch, and get er done

I have brewed several 5-gallon kits from MoreBeer and Northern Brewer by dividing it for the LBK.  It worked well for me, and most of it was pretty easy.  I have just scaled each of the ingredients by the ratio of 2.13 / 5 with a calculator.  Or if you have Beersmith, it will automatically scale it for your LBK volume.  Or, you could just brew half, but that will result in a stronger, hoppier beer, which often is OK.  I have found it simple to save the remaining ingredients.  I put vodka on the LME.  The only tricky part is the yeast.  Generally, you can't save yeast, even dry yeast, longer than a few days after it is opened.