Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sambeerindia

My yeast rehydrated for 3 hrs. Is it affecting my fermentation?

4 days back I brewed my AG hefeweizen. 

Put my yeast to rehydrate when my mash was going on. It then waited for the extended mash, the hop boil and cooling down. It was just over three hours from the time I rehydrated it. I could see a small white deposit layer at the bottom of the brake and did not know if the yeast flocculation had happened to some extent. 

After pitching,  woke up the next morning to see krauzen.  But in24 hours,  a Brown ring was visible at the top of the fermenter and the krauzen was almost gone. I now see a thin white layer at the bottom of the fermenter,  making me wonder if some of the yeast are already asleep or maybe never woke up? 

What should I do from here?

/Sameer

As Jim said, you're getting trub so in all probability you're making beer and all is well. With really active, happy yeast you can get through the most active fermentation very quickly. There seem to be a lot of factors involved.

Folks, I don't seem to be getting any trub whatsoever. 

seems to be a very tiny amount of yeast at the bottom, just about 1 mm.

Could it be a very low amount of fermentable from a mash that was to hot? I did go significantly over temp firing mashing and this was only my second AG.

/Sam

The only thing I can tell you, is that I when I brewed my hefeweizen, I was concerned from the lack of trub.  There was some, but nothing like any other batch I had brewed.  It turned out just fine.  I suspect it's just a characteristic of the strain of yeast used in weissbier, and I hope yours turns out fine.

Thanks Bluejaye.

TOday is the 7 th day for my fermentation and I have come to the same conclusion.  I got a very thin layer of krauzenand no trub at all but then around day 5i saw the krauzen thicken ever so slightly.

To my inexperienced mind, it was a sign that the yeast were doing their job.

When I checked today, the krauzen is staying to dissipate gruadually, so I guess fermentation is winding down. 

So I'm pretty excited about this batch right now, which is a bit of a change from being a very concerned Noob 3-4 days ago!

/Sam

rehydrated yeast for 3 hrs???? most of the dry yeast packs ive ever read say rehydrate by sprinkling on the surface of a certain volume of water at (temps vary but average about 90-98f..some higher). let sit for 15 minutes. stir. let sit for 5 mins then add to wort that has cooled to around 15F or less difference in temp from the yeast water.

if you rehydrate then let them sit for hours aren't you starving them to death?