Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
RRock87

Off taste at 7 days

Im a new brewer.  I checked after 7 days. My beer has a cider taste.  I sanitizer everything first and kept temp around 72-76*F.  I do remember stirring my yeast into keg.  Is that a problem?

The cider taste is normal at this point, as a byproduct of the initial fermentation.  Just keep the brew in the fermenter for the 3 weeks that folks here recommend, and the continued contact with the yeast will digest the cidery compounds into a pleasant beer flavor.  Note that a hydrometer reading might say the fermentation is done, but that's just the yeast's consumption of sugar, and these byproducts convert after that. 

Also, make sure that no more than 1/3 of your fermentable sugars come from simple sugars like table sugar, honey, and other adjuncts, and the other 2/3 or more is from grains.  Simple sugars can leave a permanent cider flavo, or at least take a long time to condition. 

Will get better with time. 3 Weeks fermentation,  4 weeks in bottle and your beer will be much better.

Next batch try to keep temp in mid 60s so that after Iwade due to fermentation youwill still be below 72-73. Much cleaner and lighter net that way. 

/Sam