Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ADaly

New Guy in Brewtown with a few questions.

Hello Gang,

Just bought my MR BEER kit today at BJ'S of all places. It was a heck of a deal and i figured Why not and took the plunge. I have been researching for awhile now about home brewing and was familiar with the different homebrew kits available in the market and as stated it was a hell of a deal at BJ'S. Anyways my questions are these, My kit came with the Mexican Cerveza and Chezh  pilsner I think it was. I know what the Mexican Cerveza is a clone of but have no idea what the other is a clone of. Can someone give me a hint as to what that is please? Also for the more experienced brewers out there, Have you found a need to upgrade from the MR BEER KIT and went into a more serious set-up? I'm the type of person that the more simple the better for me. I have no interest at all to go full mash, but a partial mash may be an interest. So can I continue to build on my beer brewing interests with a LBK or will I need to go for a bigger fermentor or second LBK.  I do have a LHBS close to my house but there kits are for 5 gallon batches and a single LBK is only 2 gallons. So can I can brew half a kit and save the rest for a second brew?

Anyways I think i'm done for now with questions and sorry for the wall of text.

Thanks,

Arnold

Welcome to the Mr. Beer community.  Both of the extracts that came with your kit can brew good beer.  Most of the brewers on the forum would probably add a more malt to the brew.  You can order malt SoftPacks from Mr. Beer or you can get dry malt from your LHBS (a half pound of dry malt would be a good addition).  The Czech Pilsner extract that you got is patterned after beers like Pilsner Urquell.  Although, remember that you are using ale yeast and temperatures, so it won't be a perfect clone.  But good beer none the less.

To answer your second question, yes, you can definitely buy a 5-gallon kit from your LHBS and divide it into two LBK batches.  I have done that many time, with good results.

None of the Mr. Beer refills are clones of anything that you might buy in the store.  They are "designed" to a style.  If you expect that the Aztec Mexican Cerveza is going to be like any Mexican Beer you've had, you'll be sorely disappointed.  That brew, and the Classic American Light, are viewed by many as two of the worst refills that Mr. Beer sells.

Try the Oktoberfest and add 1/2 to 1 lb of LME or DME.  Try the Bewitched Amber Ale or the Winter Dark (both in the Craft Series) and don't add anything.  THOSE are the better refills.

Semantics.

Many people may not like the MR BEER Mexican Cerveza Refill but I am not one of them. The AMC may not be a clone of anything, but when I drop a lime into my Cerveza, the taste reminds me a lot of Corona Light, which I last drank 8 years ago :)

/Sam

Mexican Cerveza was my first. I thought it was good, not a clone of Corona.