Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Pappy John

Brewing questions

Have brewed a couple of batches using the 2-2-2 system.Just bottled a batch of Canadian Blonde after 2 weeks in the LBK. Whats with the 3-4 system! should let my bottled beer sit for 3 weeks before I put in the fridge Then wait 4 weeks for conditioning?Also I brewed a batch  of Bewitched Ale,should I leave it in the LBK for 3 weeks before I bottle it. Bought a box of Dominos Dots should I use 1 cube=1/2 tsp. per 12 oz. bottle? Thanks.

The 3-4 is for 3 weeks in the LBK and 4 weeks in the bottle. Any time in the fridge (for cold crashing or after carbonation) is outside of the 3+4.

You will notice the beer improving significantly with this timeframe.

/Sam

You may want to spend some time reading the forums.  Your questions aren't uncommon, and are answered many times with very detailed explanations.

- the 3-4 system is 3 weeks in the LBK and 4 weeks in the bottle AT ROOM TEMP, before you refrigerate for at least 3 days ONLY WHAT YOU'RE READY TO DRINK, letting the rest continue to age in the bottle.  This method produces the best overall results.  Some recipes, if high in adjuncts (booster, fruit, added sugar) or high in ABV can require even longer in the bottle at room temp, sometimes many months.  If you own a hydrometer, and take two samples 48 hours apart that are identical, then you could bottle earlier than 3 week.

- You should add the amount of sugar to your bottles that you find acceptable.  Mr. Beer's levels, shown in the literature you got with the kit and on their site here: http://www.mrbeer.com/info-exec/display/help, call for 3/4 teaspoon.  Many find around 2/3rds of that level is better, which is 1/2 teaspoon for a 12 ounce bottle.  Whether you use Dominos Dots or loose table sugar doesn't matter.