Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ibasterd

Success!

Hello everyone!

I'm a new homebrewer and thought I'd share my experience so far. I started out with the Classic American light Ale that comes with the kit. I got everything up and running with no problem. Fermented for two weeks, Bottle conditioned for two more and put in fridge for another two (2-2-2).  I couldn't wait to try my first bottle... and when I did I wish I hadn't. There was little to no carbonation and pretty cidery. I was bummed. After stressing out a bit, I sought out some advice from Mr. Beer himself (I sent an email to Mr. Beer). I got some pretty good advice in return. I took the beer out of the fridge and let it bottle condition another 3 weeks further. When I tried it again... Success! I now had a great head with plenty of carbonation and the cidery taste had mellowed considerably. I would still say it's a bit more full bodied and malty for a light ale, but not bad.

I still have the remaining bottles warm conditioning and I pull one bottle out at a time to chill as necessary, Each bottle is a bit better than the last.

Lesson learned is to be very patient. I also think I could do a better job of controlling the ferment temp. I live in Florida and room temp is about 77 or 78. I'm going to try to put the fermentor in a cooler to control the temp and reduce the cidery taste next batch.

I have a batch of Oktoberfest bottle conditioning now. Can't wait to try one, but I will.

By the way. I would like to have a profile pic, but this new forum seems to not let me do it. I get the "oops" page when I try to add a  picture. Any Ideas on that?

Cheers

1237684_659866730692812_525986190_n

Congratulations!  The photo of your beer looks great.  Nice head.  As for temperature, I have lived (and brewed) in Florida, so I know what you are up against.  But the LBK in an ice chest works really well, so I encourage you to try that.  I use the Blue Ice packs from the grocery store, but many brewers on the forum just freeze a bottle of water.  Keep brewing!

Congratulations~ Now I'm brewing my 7th and 8th batches with my two LBK, but yours seems much more better than me! Really nice head and gorgeous label. I wish my maltodextrin to give good head with my next batch like yours.

Thanks guys. The main thing that I was concerned about was that I didn't know if I had killed the yeast by refrigerating.  Apparently the yeast is fine and will reactivate when you bring the bottles out of the fridge. 

As for the label beaureve, I am a graphic designer when not brewing beer, so it was a fun branding and packaging project for me. My next batch of Oktoberfest, I bottled in 16oz swing top bottles that look even better! I would post more pictures but this forum seems to make it difficult.

inglorious-basterd

inglorious-basterd2

Congrats! I'm fairly new to this myself. I'm on my 6th batch now. After reading on this forum, I'm now going to let this batch (and many more)condition longer. I liked the taste after the 2-2-2, but now i know it could be much better.

I like those labels. Someday I hope to do something like that for mine.