Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
sambeerindia

Is there a science behind the flavour and aroma hopping?

Loads of material on how to get the desired bitterness in the beer you make. 

When it comes to the aroma and flavour,  are there any guidelines around the amounts of hops to add? 

How do those amounts compare withthe bittering hop quantities?  Or is this the art of brewing? 

/Sam

Now that you mention it, I'd like to know that too. If Diane has any expert knowledge to add I hope she'll chime in.

I've found that aroma hopping with 7 or minutes left to the boil, knockout hopping at flameout and dry hopping all lend different aroma to the wort. I must admit it never occurred to me to try hopping water to make a hop tea. Since the aroma hop oils continue to isomerize until the wort temperature falls below 170F, using knock out hop additions right after the boil will provide your beer with longer lasting aroma once it's packaged.

Traditional aroma hopping in the boil kettle for 7 minutes or less also vaporizes many of the more volatile aroma hop oils too and dry hopping, while adding aroma tends to dissipate quickly over time. Knockout hopping is the best of both worlds. Adding hops to the wort as the temperature falls from 212F down to 170F allows the delicate essential oils to add aroma through isomerization without boiling off the delicate oils giving your beer aroma that lasts longer in the bottle over time.