Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Blacksmithcrm

A disturbing sign...

I'm pretty new to the group (just starting work on batch 9) and just had a moment that made me realize just how addicted I've become: When I buy beer at the store I make sure it's a brown pry- off and have picked beers based on how eazy I think the lable will soak off.

Any hope or am I a goner?

Cheers.

Both - You are a goner and there is much hope for the future with good beers all around!!!

Not a disturbing sign, a great sign! Now all you have to do is sign your life away to making beer for all of eternity and you are good to go!

With a long enough soak in oxy-clean labels will eventually come off, but I admit that one local brewery made me wonder. Even after a couple of weeks it took some doing to get Thirsty Dog labels off. They make good beer, but less tenacious labels would be welcome!

Shorts labels came off - but the glue remained.  I ended up using Goo Gone and STILL they had a stickiness.  I got rid of them.

Blacksmith, as a VERY wise one said to me .......Welcome to the Obsession !

I did that for a long time starting in early '10.   Now I have hundreds and hundreds of empties piled up, as I've gone mostly to kegging

I must have missed the whole lable removing process.  It has been quite awhile since Ive had the fun of getting off those nasty labels since I now have quite the bottle collection much to the dismay of SWMBO (well, when they are full she doesnt complain...).  So, missing the sport of lable removing, I have jumped into wine making and have realized that beer labels were easy peasy compared to them.  The things I will do to keep my yeasties busy.

This sounds heretical, but try mineral spirits (paint thinner) to get that sticky label stuff off.  Just don't get it inside the bottles!!!  You'll have to wash them well afterward, but the smell does go away.  Some brands have less smell than others.  Vegetable oil may work, too.