Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
ao

Mr Beer NutBrown Ale

Just wondering if anyone has brewed this yet and had a chance to taste how it turned out?  I tried the White IPA and it did not turn out how i had hoped.  Thanks!

I have brewed the nut brown and it is very good! I liked it a lot, the best seasonal so far!

Hey Robertl6, was planning on starting the nut brown ale this weekend.

I was wondering if you did any modifications to it or just brewed it straight up.  Also how long did you condition it before tasting?  How is the mouthfeel of it?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, I just really enjoy a decent Nut Brown Ale and am hoping to make this one as delicious as I can.

Thanks.

No problem at all, I brewed it straight up, I am currently brewing the Golden Nut Brown Ale to compare the difference between the two. I conditioned it for about 3 weeks before tasting it and it had great flavor too it, with a rich body, and you really get the nutty flavor out of it. I would say brew it straight up, and you will like it.

My first batch went into the LBK on Sunday, 9/29, and seems to be progressing normally. I'm looking forward to it. I meant to start it earlier, but too much to do, too little time. 

I'm almost two weeks into conditioning the fall seasonal, brewed straight up. Did you do the 2-2-2 method? For example, two weeks in primary, two weeks in bottle at room temp, then two weeks in bottle in fridge?

Can you post a pic of the final product? I'm excited to try this one.

derbystar16 said:I'm almost two weeks into conditioning the fall seasonal, brewed straight up. Did you do the 2-2-2 method? For example, two weeks in primary, two weeks in bottle at room temp, then two weeks in bottle in fridge?

Can you post a pic of the final product? I'm excited to try this one.

You should NOT follow 2-2-2.  You should do at least 2 (we recommend 3) in the LBK, and then FOUR weeks in the bottle at room temp, followed by 2 or 3 days in the frig (only for what you're ready to drink) for the best results.

After 2 weeks in the bottle, the beer is NOT ready for refrigeration.

Further, a nut brown ale is designed to be consumed at cellar temps, i.e. in the 50s.  So, when you do refrigerate it, pull out a bottle and pour it, letting it sit maybe 15 minutes.  Better yet, take a sip right away, then a sip every 10 minutes and note when the flavor really comes out.

Okay so I'll leave it in the bottle at room temp for two more weeks.

I'm hoping that they'll release the Winter seasonal sometime in November so we can at least have a shot of having it ready for Christmas.

For Christmas and other seasonal brews, at the moment Mr Beer features several recipes on its home page, and also has a 'holiday ales' selection when you click on 'recipes' from the menu at the top of its home page.  Christmas ale is a broad category for getting creative:  mine is a cranberry wheat + spices this year, after a spiced brown ale last year. 

derbystar16 said:Okay so I'll leave it in the bottle at room temp for two more weeks.

I'm hoping that they'll release the Winter seasonal sometime in November so we can at least have a shot of having it ready for Christmas.

So far they've released all the new seasonals late, i.e. you can't buy it, brew it, and have it ready in time.  From a Marketing perspective, they don't have their stuff together.

Hi guys-

Just brewed this up over the weekend. Followed the directions as usual, even rehydrated the yeast as directed. I put the LBK in the basement and left it alone. When I went down to the basement (maybe 18 hours later) I discovered a mess! The LBK had overflowed as if the yeast had created a keg bomb! I cleaned up the mess and left it alone. When i checked it later it had not overflowed any more and the contents of the LBK seemed to have settled down. It looks to be fine right now, 3 days later. Anybody have an idea what happened? Was the yeast still too warm? I did try to acclimate the yeast by adding some of the wort in small doses before adding it....

The Craft Series often does that, and these are 31% more malt so not a surprise.  Just clean the mess up with a sanitized cloth and move on.

I always make sure to tighten my lid, then back it off a tad so the vents are nice and clear.  If it overflows, as long as the vents are open you can clean the outside off and be done.  If you think the vents are clogged, you gently remove the lid, clean the vents without dropping crud back into the LBK, wipe the inside of the lid, and put it back on - and do it rather speedily.

fa12f014-094e-4420-8133-530713c904ae.jpgThis was about my 25th batch. I always back my lid off after my first keg overflow. This was my second overflow. After the first I went and bought a 3 pack of cookie sheets from Target for around $11. Great investment as you can tell.

I've seen where people have put their LBK in an empty cooler to contain a vigorous fermentation . Is it ok to put the LBK in a clear tote with the lid of the tote on to contain an over flow if worried about it

If the container that you put it in holds 2.13 gallons, why would you need a lid?  Your LBK is not going to blow up.

I have mine in Rubbermaid totes, no lid.

ok so your saying its ok to put in rubbermaid totes but no need to put lid on tote?The LBK won't blow its lid off if anything the beer will run out the air vents and down the side of the lbk.I always read stories of nasty blow offs and beer every where thats why i was asking.

What I'm saying is that you can probably count on the fingers of one hand people that have had an LBK blow off a lid and make a mess.  The vents rarely clog, when there is a vigorous overflow that's the vents doing their job.  I've brewed over 20 batches and had maybe two overflows.  

I tighten my lid, then back it off a quarter turn to let even more opportunity for overflow to escape.

When it overflows, having it on a cookie sheet prevents SWMBO from getting mad.  Putting it in a Rubbermaid container that holds 2.13 or more gallons covers you if you have a spigot failure.  

When it overflows, if you want, you can carefully remove the lid and wipe down the threads to ensure that the vents are open, making sure no crud falls back in the LBK.  Make sure you wipe the lid also, and do the whole operation as quickly as you can to avoid letting contaminants or air in.

I maybe remember 1 or 2 people saying the LBK lid blew off due to vents being clogged.