Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Funkatronix

New to the hobby, possible error.

Got a new box of Mr Beer, Took all the items out, Did some research and started the adventure.

Sanitized down my area, cleaned the counters, mopped the floor...lol

2 weeks after I was ready to bottle

Little did I know that the cake I enjoyed earlier in the week my wife made, used most of my sugar I will have needed for my beer.

I ran short of course, so for two bottles, I used RAW SUGAR.

They look ok so far, there is little differnce in apearance, the bottles do feel a little more firm that the others.

What are your predictions on taste?

I used the Czech malp hop can.

Thanks for your input

Welcome!!! Sounds like you are a good start, I like the Czech Pilsner, I am currently making a 5 gallon batch of that for my wedding coming up. I think it should come out fine, I would not worry too much about the sugar. The amount is relatively small so it will not have a major impact on the beer itself. This is a great hobby to love, and drinking your beer is the best reward! Cheers!!

Cheers-to-beers-toasting-animation.gif

Oh heavens to Betsy , Raw Sugar ? Sorry , I use it to bottle every batch. You will be fine RDWHAHB !!!

People use priming sugar in different form to tweak the flavor of the beer (honey, brown sugar, and more exotic things). What you will have is a way of comparing the effects of the two kinds. I'm finding that for bottle priming I like the carbonation drops, and sugar cubes also work well. 

Since this seems to be the first batch, let me reiterate that it won't be really good until it's been in the bottle at least 4 weeks, and In the case of some beers 4 months is about right.

Welcome to the obsession! 

One nice thing about beer is that it's pretty forgiving--things rarely go so wrong that it's undrinkable, and it's all a learning experience. 

Thanks fellas, that does give me some peace of mind, I was worried that I made have made a mistake.

I'm not sure what the beer is gonna taste like, I looked up the flavor "profile" and it sounds like a winner.

I'm as excited as a pregnant mother awaiting her child to be born. I have sworn off commercial beer until I can taste mine, for that extra anticipation factor. lol.

I'm planning on grilling some sage and celery sausage too, should go down nicely.

Pics to follow.

Also, is there a glossary to all the acronyms and abreviations? EDIT: FOUND IT