Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
11xray

Aztec cerveza

Hello all, just wanted some info for my next batch. I was wondering of adding lime in my Aztec Cerveza that I will be making tomorrow. I just do not know how much? I just want a beer with a hint of lime to the taste.  Can someone point me in the right direction please. This is my fourth batch and so far all of the one I made was uber delicious. 

If you look at the recipes on the site, they include adding lime with specifics to the Aztec Cerveza.  Also, it's nothing like a Cerveza, and probably one of the worst refills Mr. Beer sells.

thank you sir. where can I find the recipes for this site. been trying to look for but no luck

I've been brewing for about a year and actually had a lot of success with my Mexican Aztec Modification.   My very first homebrew was the MA and I brewed it straight up. It was low on taste and low on ABV but I did produce beer.  I got about 6 other batches under my belt and decided to attempt another batch of a beer I had made previously but to improve upon it. At the time it was summer, and that I like Cerveza, so I purchased the MA Refill. Here is the recipe I used:

1 Can MA HME

1lb. Light DME

1.0 oz Saaz @15min.

.5 oz Hallertau @ 10min.

4 Limes worth of Zest @Flameout

1/2 Cup of Lime Juice @Flameout

I did the usual sanitizing, fermenting, and bottling. I now knew from my first go around with the MA that it was pretty green until at least 8 weeks of conditioning. So I let this batch rest for 3 weeks for fermenting and 8 full weeks of conditioning. My finished product was my 8th brew, but the first brew that I would prefer to drink repeatedly and can be proud to let others try. It's a slightly heavier Cerveza, but still light, the ABV is 4.76% which is nice for summer. I get just a small hint of lime that can be brought out with a lime wedge, and it has just enough hops to give it flavor and aroma. I'm honestly a bit shocked that I like this so much compared to my very first MA that was very blah. Not only was this beer a success but it does show that what the veterans on this site preach about being patient, brewing a brew straight up the first time to get a feel for it, etc. is worth listening to and practicing.

To be honest, I just bought the ingredients again to make this in time for spring. 

I did a fairly coarse zest and used a hop sack.  I'm all for keeping as much extra gunk and floaties away from the beer.  It seemed to work and I definitely got a nice lime taste.  I was worried it would be overpowering but it wasn't.  It's a unique beer and made the MA much better.  My friends liked it a lot.  I love lime so it was a big hit for me.

I just brewed this once again over the weekend.  I actually up the .5 oz of the Hall. to a full ounce.  I didn't have any brews on deck that I would've used those hops in an didn't want to waste them.  We'll see how it all shakes out.  I'm counting on a nice beer but I won't drink it for 3 months.  I've learned the Mexican Aztec needs 3 weeks of the primary and 8 of conditioning.  Otherwise it has a distinct, sour apple taste.

sounds great, I will have to do this after the powerful patriot I will be doing in 2 weeks. I love Mexican style beer in the hot summer's.

This one will need a good 3 weeks fermenting and 8 conditioning.  So right about the time the weather changes to spring, we'll be sipping on this brew!

Started my Raspberry Lime Cerveza over the weekend. I used the zest of 5 limes, and added one small Simply Limeade to the cold water. Added one can of raspberries, and will add one more at 7 days.

Oregon canned, pureed in a sanitized blender. You can buy them from MB, but they're cheaper at my local grocery store. 

Here's a recipe I made with great success where I got the citrus from the hops only.

1 can of Aztec HME

1 lb of Briess Pilsen DME

1 oz of Falconers Flight 7cs pellet hops

1 packet of Seflager 34/70 yeast

Start with 2.5 cups of purified water, slowly heat while adding the DME. Once dissolved bring to a boil. Put .5 ounce of hops in each sack. Add .5 ounce hops and boil for 20 min,with five minutes remaining added the other .5 ounce of hops. Add 4 QTS of purified water to your fermenter,remove the hop sacks and add hot wort,top off with enough cold purified water to bring it a little over 8.5 qts . Stir well then pitch Seflager 34/70 yeast. Ferment at 50-52 degrees for 3wks. Once bottled condition at room temp 70 for 4wks than refrigerate for at least 2wks.