Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Prodigy829

How long does a sanitized bottle stay sanitized?

Getting ready to bottle my oktoberfest brew, but between work, home renovations and excercising off last weeks beer my time schedule has been pretty full. 

I recently got a new dishwasher that has a sanitize setting, and was planning to use that this time around to sanitize the bottles, but I'm not sure on how long the cycle takes and how long it will take to for the bottles to cool off afterwards and be ready to fill.  So I was hoping to be able to sanitize the bottles one day and do the actual filling another day, but how long can you wait before you need to sanitize again?

I imagine if I were to keep the bottles closed up in the dishwasher I would be able to wait a day or so, but chances are SWMBO wouldn't take to kindly to that, unless I planned ot wash all the dishes by hand...which I don't.  So if I take them out what would be my best bet to maintain sanitazion?  Cover the bottle tops with plastic wrap or not worry about it?  Or am I doomed and need to find time when I can sanitize and bottle on the same day?

Thanks all!

What some have done in the past:

run the bottles through the sanitize cycle,  remove and cover opening with aluminum foil. set aside untill needed. Seems to have worked for them quite well.

as long as noting is allowed to "drop in" the bottles, they should be good.

I sanitize by spraying inside bottle with a little starsan, roll it around, pour out, and stand the bottles upside down in Sam Adams twelve pack carton.  Paper towel on bottom, lip of bottles was sprayed.  Never had a problem.

I would think a far more important question might be, "How long does a crazy old fart remain a crazy old fart"?

Starsan on foil and wrap the tops with the foil as Dag and Tabasco said and you should be fine for a day or 2 if more then resanitize. Better safe than wasting a batch for no good reason.

FWIW, I always rinse with sanitizer just before bottling. I just fill the bottles, then dump them out and it seems to work fine. A couple of days would probably be okay, but I worry too much about some things. 

Don't rely on the dishwasher to clean the bottles as it won't - you need to wash them by hand.  For sanitizing, if a HEAT sanitizing cycle that can work.  If it's via water, make sure there is no rinse agent being added which is bad for beer bottles and retaining head.

The bottles will cool rather quickly IF you open the dishwasher after it's done.  Like in minutes.  Figure an hour and you're good to go.

Can I sanitize my bottles the day before by leaving the bottle filled with one step with the cap on overnight?

Yes, but that's a waste of One Step.  With One Step you want to sanitize for 10 minutes.  So, as you are about to start bottling, make one gallon of One Step solution.  Fill each bottle 1/2 way, shake, let sit for 10 minutes.  Now you're ready.  Filling each bottle is overkill and a waste of sanitizer.