Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
rave808

Is 1 teaspoon of sugar not enough for English bitter ?

I'm going to bottle an English bitter I did in the 1 liter mr beer bottles and usually use 3 sugar cubes to carb thus equalling 1 1/2 teaspoons of sugar I was going to try just using 2 cubes for that style of beer do you guys think that it is too little amount of carbonation for an English bitter and just do my normal 3 cubes that I usually use for most styles?

English bitter does have low to medium carbonation, less than many other styles.  I would follow your idea and carbonate with less priming sugar than you normally would, see how it turns out, and adjust it in future batches if needed. Note that several factors affect carbonation, and repeating your recipe to tune your results is often the way to get the results turning out like you want them to. 

It was a muntons recipe so I did it in two lbk's so I was thinking carb one batch with 2 cubes and other LBK with 3 cubes per bottle

Remember that English real ales, served up from the cellar by hand pumps, are kept and served at 11 - 13°C.  The flavor and carbonation will seem much reduced if you serve yours ice cold from the refrigerator.

c7537da7-15b5-450e-a58e-f4a7d5b61449.png    998a7ffe-6e28-4926-94e0-80cd91bc96e2.png

I recently brewed Camilla's Folly, described by Mr. Beer as an ESB.  I followed the recipe except that I added some steeping grains and did a 20 min flavor boil with the Northern Brewer hops.  I dry hopped with 1/2 oz of Glacier and Willamette hops after 11 days.  Before bottling I batch primed with sugar targeting 1.3 volumes of CO2.  

I drank my first bottle the other day right out of the fridge.  It seemed very under-carbonated, watery and lacking in flavor.  Flavor got better as the beer slowly warmed.  The next bottle I left on the kitchen counter for 30 min before opening and the flavor was much, much better.  Still wasn't a big fan of the low carbonation though.

I went to the store to get a 6-pack of Fuller's ESB to compare it to mine.  Color the same.  Carbonation about the same, maybe Fuller's had a touch more.  The malt flavors were very similar.  Fuller's had more mouthfeel and more hop bitterness and flavor which surprised me.  Qbrew suggested I was too bitter for the style.  And I was disappointed that I didn't get a better mouthfeel after steeping 1/4lb each of CaraPils and Crystal 40 for 30 min in 160F water.  

Next time I might do a partial mash and carb at 1.75 for a little more fizz.