Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
hometeam25

Need some advice

Been using the Mr. Beer kit for almost a year now. I have made 7 batches of beer so far. I have only had one batch that I would say tasted really good, that was the Ole Mole Stout with a little recipe variation. All of my other batches have tasted almost yeasty (if that is a word.) I follow the 3 weeks fermentation, then I usually let it condition one week for every % of Abv. So for a 6% ABV I let it condition for 6 weeks. I bring up a couple and put them in the fridge at least 3 days prior to drinking. I have followed all the directions to the word. I am looking for anything to try, because I would like to continue to make beer. I love the hobby.

Almost forgot I cold crashed the last two batches hoping that would change something but it did not.

Also had someone tell me to not pour the whole beer in my glass, so the sediment at the bottom doesn't go into it...

Please Help!

that would depend on what the ingredients were used. If you think that the beer may be lacking in "mouth feel" or needs a we bit more flavor, well, that's where you need to start adding steeping grains and other things.

steeping grains is easy peasy... just like making tea with a tea bag.

Pour GENTLY, not stirring up the bottom contents of the bottle.  You don't want to stir it up, NOR put it in your glass.  Leave the last 1/4" in the bottle.  Do NOT drink out of the bottle.

There could be a couple of causes for a yeasty off-flavor.  One is contamination by wild yeast or bacteria, so make sure your sanitation is as good as you can do.  Another is rapid temperature changes, so make sure your wort has cooled before adding your yeast, and keep stable temperatures after that.  Stable temperatures could be more important than trying for a particular temperature, as long as you are within the yeast's range. 

In general, other causes could be old yeast or a bad yeast strain, but I believe Mr Beer is supplying a goid strain of yeast, and as long as your yeast has not been exposed to high temperatures, your yeast should be fine.  When I grt new yeast, such ad with a Mr Beer refill, I do put it the fridge until it gers used. 

Try using a dry malt extract. It will require you to boil your own hops (usually). Some of us, myself included, are very sensitive to the taste of extract "twang" from liquid malt extract, which starts to degrade as soon as it's made. Were it not for the fact that I used DME for my third beer, I would probably have quit brewing, due to the fact that I found the taste of my HME beers unpleasant, and very similar to each other. DME keeps for a very long time, is easy to use, and with the right steeping grains can replicate most beer styles.