Mr.Beer Community
piscator

Relativity: part 1

As in theory of? Thankfully not.

Haven't posted since January, but still making beer. As I completed more partial grain recipes, the pipeline of extract brews became less and less desirable. When I was doing extracts, I would rate them on the scale of 1-10 with ten being something I really liked. After a half a dozen or so partial grains, even the favorites had slipped down, relatively speaking, to where I wouldn't bother making them again.

There's a local brew pub that shares recipe information, but for 600 - 1300 gallon batches. Up to you to work it out for 2gal or 5 gal. One of those has been a real success for me, because I nailed it in a 2gal batch.

1lb Munich crushed

1lb 60L crushed

3lb Light DME

Steep the grains 60min @ 160F, 3.5gal of water.

Crank up heat, started adding DME right away

Bring to boil, get past hot-break (not much problem 2-3min)

Toss in 1oz German Magnum, start timer counting from 60min.

At 30min, toss in 1oz Cascade.

At 10min, toss in 1oz Simcoe

Off heat and chill at 0min to 80F rapidly as possible.

Pluck out expended hop bags and discard.

Pour kettle contents into fermenter,  bring level up to "Q" if necessary.

Add 1oz Simcoe and Cascade in hop-bags for dry-hopping.

Pitch Wyeast 1056 when temp hits 78F, aerate.

Second day, have a cookie tray under fermenter. Sometimes needed, sometimes not.

21 days in fermenter, prime 1tsp cane sugar per 16oz bottle.

40 days at 60F for conditioning.

OMG!!!

I'm not at all experienced at brewing with grain, but I have to ask--1 oz. sugar per 16 oz bottle? a pound of sugar in a 2 gallon batch? That sounds excessive. 

I've found that there's 2 things that prevent the loss of hop aroma in my beer, never dry hop until the primary fermentation is complete and never purge the Co2 from a corny keg for any reason. During fermentation those Co2 bubbles will scrub away valuable hop aromas and vent them off into the atmosphere.

The room will smell nice and hoppy but your beer will suffer the loss. Same goes with venting off Co2 gas from a keg, the volatile hop aromas will smell really good but the beer will suffer the loss of aromas in the end.

This is an interesting reply. If my fermentation is three weeks in primary, and then we go direct to bottle, perhaps the dry hops should go into the fermentor near the end, say day 15?

What I do notice is the loss of the Simcoe aroma compared to the brew pub product. Same taste, but less piney aroma.