Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
pborder

second batch

ca76bfb4-1d07-4628-a588-63dc941336fd.jpgThis iis my second batch brewed.  It is Aztec Cervesa with Pale LME and Cascade hops left in.  It is three weeks in the LBK.  When I checked a sample it is still cloudy but other than a little tang it tasted OK.  Should I let it go longer or go with what I have or did I screw it up?

I would bottle it. That tang is just a young beer and should condition out.

In regards to the cloudiness of the sample, I’ve found that the first bit out of the LBK spigot does contain some extra trub due to how it settles during fermentation.  Normally when filling my first bottle, I can see some trub flowing through the bottling wand for the first ¼-½ bottle and then it clears up until I near the bottom of the keg.  I see this for most, if not all of my LBK batches and unless the style dictates otherwise, they all have good clarity.

Knowing this I normally don’t judge clarity by the sample. 

In a nutshell….NO WORRIES MATE!!!!

What I do at 3 weeks is cold crash (put the LBK in the refrigerator for 3 days) with 1 or 2 CD cases underneath the front of the LBK (under the spigot side of the base). 

That way anything that falls,  falls away from the spigot. (actually I ferment the same way from the START, tilted w/ the CD cases)

But the cold crashing seems to clear up the beer.. not to mention that when the trub is cold and hard if you're real careful you can get most of the liquid out of the LBK without disturbing the trub for a batch prime into another LBK.

That method has really turned out well for me so far.  Ferment > Cold Crash > Batch Prime > Bottle

When making "fruit" beers the only way to clear it up is cold crashing. And thanks for the tip of placing a cd case (I used the plastic lid of the HME can) under the spigot end of the LBK. I have never let my fermentation go past 17 days.