Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
big d

big d

Hey all.   Happy Holiday to everyone. I just started with the prem kit,already done the brewing process just bottling now. Sure hope this works. Looking forward to enjoying Mr Beer for Christmas. Wish me luck

New Years might be a better target and Twelfth Night better still; by Christmas your beer should be carbonated but it will be a little while longer before it's at its best. The general experience here on the forum is that the best results come from letting it ferment for 3 weeks in the Little Brown Keg (LBK) and then sit in bottles at room temperature for 4 weeks. Carbonation takes place in the first week or two after bottling, then the beer "conditions" and some off flavors go away and mellow out. 

That said, I have drunk beer after 2 weeks in the bottle and it wasn't really terrible, just not as good as the same batch was a few weeks later. 

Welcome to the forum--I've had a lot of fun with my brewing and you probably will too!

What he said.  I know it is tempting but dont rush the process.  Way too many brewers have rushed to have that first bottle and when they tasted it were not happy and quit the hobby.  For Christmas go out and get some good craft beer or a bottle of wine (or Jack & Coke) and wait it out.

Hey Big D.

Congrats on the first batch.  As was stated, the beer 4 weeks in the bottle will be much better than after only 1 or 2 weeks.

But who didn’t get the itch to try one earlier, especially with the FIRST batch.  I drank one at 1 week, 2 weeks and 3 weeks.  It wasn’t great, but I learned how the flavor progressed the longer it conditioned.

The biggest problem is opening one after a couple of weeks when using the Lt. PET bottles included with the kit.  That means you’ll have to drink 1/8th of your batch that isn’t really ready.

I found 10oz ginger ale plastic bottles work well and still use one per batch for early sampling.  This way I only drink a small amount early on and have more left to condition the recommended amount of time.

Lastly - if you catch the brew-bug, and you will, you’ll soon brew enough to have a nice supply of well conditioned beers which makes it easier to resist the temptation of drinking green beer.

Chill down a couple for Christmas, and let the rest stand at room temp another few weeks.  Treat yourself to some nice craft brew til then, and when you pop them a few weeks later, you'll notice the difference.

I'm not condition-crazy, as I've always liked a little "rough around the edges" myself, but I always do at least 2-2-2.