Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BeerofHrod

Firecracker red ale

I've had this going for about 9 days in the primary lbk. Today I added the pureed cherries. When I added them its was difficult to not splash the puree into the wort and really the puree contained a lot of foam from the blending process. I didn't stir the contents. I'm worried it might become stale but I thought I'd ask here if anyone did the same and got good results. 

That's exactly how it's done, you don't stir, and it will be fine.  Made a batch of that and several St. Valentine's Cherries in Honey which is the same except for the cinnamon.

I bottled this beer tonight. I had a lot easier time using a bucket and spigot/wand than last time with a wand only. The beer tastes good but definitely has a cider taste to it. I believe that's because I used a pouch of booster in the recipe.

Actually, the cidery taste is mostly because the beer is green, i.e. not ready to drink.  The booster AND the cheeries AND the honey added fermentables to the mix, and that increased sugar content impacts things.  Give it 4 weeks at room temp then put ONE bottle in the frig for 3 days then taste.  A week later do another bottle.  Then a week later do 1 more.  After about two months this recipe is much better.

8a45d043-cbdd-40fd-98f9-46a0e3c1737c.jpgI sit here disappointingly looking at the beer in front of me.

Very recently I acquired my friend's brewing and keg system for a lot less cabbage than I ever imagined. I Immediately began playing with the 5 lb co2 canister and carbonater cap. On a whim I carbonated a hard cider that I mixed a couple weeks ago. After i did some Youtube research I put 30 lbs into a bottle of hard cider and shook it real nice then put it in the fridge until chilled. The taste was puckering but good. I back sweetened it in the glass with boxed apple juice I stole from a nearby toddler. 

"It tastes smooth going down, better than that apple whatever last time...that stuff tasted like wine and I'm not...nah" my future brother in law

I carbonated a bottle of firecracker red ale that I had previously batch primed with sugar and bottled on 1/2/14. I carbonated it with about 20 lbs of co2 and whatever residual effects of the batch priming that had started since this batch was bottled beginning this year. I left it in the fridge overnight for about 20 hours. On opening it I noticed it was carbonated to a medium to low level of carbonation.

This batch of fire cracker red ale did not taste good. It tasted a lot "like wine with a taste of something else maybe beer"...according to my sister's babies daddy who happily drinks bud light. It tasted like the hard cider I had the night before. I have several more bottles of it conditioning at room temperature. I won't touch it for at least a week but I want to avoid this hard cider flavor  now that I will be creating two 5 gallon batches and kegging it. Ideally I would like to go from primary to keg (carbonate+chill then drink) I don't know if that's realistic.

What can I do to make future batches better?

I will make 5 gallons of orange wheat beer next. I plan to use a Morebeer kit and oranges from shwmo garden. The style will be a stab in the dark at Hangar 24's Orange wheat. 

BeerofHrod said:I sit here disappointingly looking at the beer in front of me.

I carbonated a bottle of firecracker red ale that I had previously batch primed with sugar and bottled on 1/2/14. I carbonated it with about 20 lbs of co2 and whatever residual effects of the batch priming that had started since this batch was bottled beginning this year. I left it in the fridge overnight for about 20 hours. On opening it I noticed it was carbonated to a medium to low level of carbonation.

This batch of fire cracker red ale did not taste good. It tasted a lot "like wine with a taste of something else maybe beer"...according to my sister's babies daddy who happily drinks bud light. It tasted like the hard cider I had the night before. I have several more bottles of it conditioning at room temperature. I won't touch it for at least a week but I want to avoid this hard cider flavor  now that I will be creating two 5 gallon batches and kegging it. Ideally I would like to go from primary to keg (carbonate+chill then drink) I don't know if that's realistic.

What can I do to make future batches better?

Just to restate things.

You bottled on 1/2 and were then advised that you should carbonate and condition the beer for 4 weeks at room temp.  I told you that the cidery taste is due to the beer being green and it needs time to condition.  

Then, you used a kegging system and carbonated a bottle that you had already added sugar to on 1/2.  You refrigerated it for a day and then opened it, finding a medium to low level of carbonation and a lousy taste.    Your plan is to wait another week and then try it again.

Answers:

- It takes time to carbonate AND CONDITION your beer.  You rushed the carbonation.  You didn't do any conditioning.  Hence the beer tastes as it does.  

- You added sugar to carbonate in the bottle.  Then, you tried to rush things by carbonating with CO2.  So, you actually added MORE sugar to the beer possibly making it taste worse than it would have, because the sugar hadn't done it's job yet.

- Firecracker includes HME and THREE OTHER FERMENTABLES as I said.  That means it likely will take LONGER THAN FOUR WEEKS.  Booster plus cherries plus honey means a lot of sugar.  

- In short, your'e trying to rush things.  Brewing beer is about patience.  If you don't have it, all of your beer will taste lousy.  Leave the bottles alone and let them sit at room temp for AT LEAST FOUR WEEKS.  Then try one after THREE DAYS in the frig.  Then a week later repeat.  Then another week.

- If you're going to use a kegging system, you need to read about how long, and via what process, you carbonate and condition your beer.  While you CAN do it faster than with bottles, you can't do it in a day.  

If you read recommendations on this forum, it's all about patience and making the basic refills before you go all mad scientist.  Then you start doing recipes.  Then you start adding other things and experimenting, and have a base to compare to so that you can see the impact of your changes.  You've jumped to Dr. Frankenstein real fast, and you're now in the "Mr. Beer makes lousy beer so I'm going to quit" phase.  Step back, follow the recommendations, and you'll be much more successful.

I'll leave the rest of the firecracker to condition for the recommended amount of time 4 weeks or so. I guess I am a little impatient but I was curious if co2 would cut down the conditioning period. It doesn't work that way I guess. Being that I have 5 or six more cans of refills I'll keep making and letting them condition. The cans are old though, they all expired in 2006/05, i wonder if that'll change the flavor.

My next batch will be Englishman's nut brown ale with amber dme and nottingham yeast. 

Tried this again today. It's been conditioning at room temperature for 6 weeks now. The flavors are coming together but it's still not ready. The cinnamon is nice, I don't feel it overpowers the beer. The base is dry and tart at the beginning but has a nice finish. Very subtle taste of cherries. I'll give it another two weeks which will bring the total time bottle conditioning two months. I'm afraid I used way too much adjunct in this recipe. 

7242bcd5-a2b2-4350-82d7-04a22b6d0d8f.jpg

It poured a nice head that dissipated quickly.

I think I have to chill down the beer before I bottle because this had a lot of yeast sediment on the bottom of the bottle. 

It's supposed to have sediment on the bottom of the bottle.  8 weeks should be better.  Spend the time reading the forum...

I would suggest that your very first problem is using HME that expired 8-9 years ago. I would start by tossing any other out of date cans and go get some fresh ones.

the can of Canadian draft I used for this recipe wasn't part of that swollen lot of cans I also had. I doubt the Canadian draft can was fresh, maybe 2011-12.

I tasted another bottle at 9 weeks conditioning. The greenness has almost all cleared up. The beer tastes a little dry and thin, there isn't much of a cherry flavor, more of an aroma. It's drinkable but the booster, honey and cherry really thinned this one out.