Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
samcinjon

cleaning the keg

Like swenocha, I too use the unscented Oxyclean Free.  I find about a 1/4 scoop works well.  I fill the keg completely and let it soak for about an hour or more.  Use the spigot and drain some into a bowl for soaking the spigot later.  Drain out some more until about half full (or less), and then use a soft cloth to wipe down the inside.  Drain the rest of the way and then rinse very well.  Afterwards, remove the spigot and place into the bowl of Oxyclean water obtained earlier and let it soak for a while.  Rinse well afterwards.

Rick

Posted on the forum many times - when you're done bottling wash the sludge out with warm water until you can't see any, then fill the keg with warm water and a few drops of unscented dish soap to the top.  Let it sit while you do the rest of the cleanup, then stick your hand in and use a soft cloth or soft sponge to rub every surface.

The only time I've needed Oxiclean is if I didn't soak the keg before the ring of krausen dried.

One thing I can add to anyone's preffered method of cleaning ... be careful not to damage the "lip" around the keg top under the lid.  It's an important part of the design.  Don't grab the LBK by the top opening to lift ... you could tear that lip.  Not likely, but you don't want to do that.  The LBK top lid and vent design on the top is great ... it works.   Don't damage it in cleaning or handling.  It's not flimsy, but it can get damaged if you're careless.