Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Osborn313

Brand new brewer, what refills taste like what beers?

I'm a brand new brewer (Christmas present from girlfriend), literally with my 1st Mr. Beer batch on right now (American light). With this being my 1st, I wanted to sacrifice the light mix just in case I mess it up. So far so good (3 days  in...!).  I'm a Coors original man. Always have been. I'm not big into beers such as Guiness, Sam Adams, Bud Light, Corona, or any other dark beers. I know, I'm picky. But I thought, eventually, I'll be able to make some mixes and broaden my beer tastes.  I do like Coors Light, Miller Lite, Keystone Lite, or Budweiser if I have too. 

Overall, I'm having a hard time figuring out which mixes (MrBeer) that I would enjoy and gain some experience with 1st. I was wondering if anyone might have some advice as to what I should try?  I EVENTUALLY want to make my own recipes and such, but I know I need lots of experience and have a long way to go till then. My next batch will be the American Lagger, and I figure I will like that one. I also have the two that came with the kit, but neither of those looks promising!  Anyway, I appreciate your time and look forward to hers ring from some people with experience! 

Welcome...

I'll start by saying that, IMHO, none of these extracts are clones of other beers (i.e, you won't find a Coors Light, Guinness, etc clone per se), but fit more in a beer style (i.e., Bud/Coors/Miller/others you list are all American Pale Lagers/Pilsner style, so there is a "Classic American Light" that is similar to that style in general).  The obvious choices to start with are the American Light, Aztec Mexican, Patriot Lager, Canadian Blonde, and maybe Grand Bohemian Czech Pils.  From there, you can always experiment with new (to you) styles...  You can also cruise through the recipe book to look for other interesting combinations.  You can sort by extract, by IBU/hops, etc. in that recipe book.

Thanks so much for the fast reply!  That helps a lot!  To really start digging my teeth in, I plan to buy a couple more kegs that way I can really see which I like the most. I have been reading past posts and realize I have lots of learning to do. I don't know many, if any, of the abbreviations and acronyms you guys use!  I don't have any previous experience with beer other than drinking it! But I'm anxious to learn, and maybe my lady will buy me a few books on the matter for my fast approaching birthday!  Thanks!

There are a lot of great books, but if said lady wants to do some book shopping, here's my recommendations for good starting places:

Dave Miller's Homebrewing Guide

Joy of Homebrewing by Papazian

How to Brew by Palmer (old edition online, new edition here)

Brewing Classic Styles by Zainasheff and Palmer

Lots of good reading here and elsewhere Aliens_borg_assimilation_faces.gif, and if you want to learn about the acronyms and a bunch of other stuff, read Dag's Simple GuideLine post...

Yah, enjoy the HME's as is for a while.  Get to know what you really like.  Then you can start tweeking.