Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
Alcoholica

Added 1/2 cup of honey,DadGummit !!!!

I was reading the malt to adjunct ratio article and read the following:

"I've been brewing for about a year, but I'm still brewing with extracts. If I start a batch with a standard refill, I use the booster since it's there, but other than that, all I ever add is 1/2 c honey. And I only add 1/2 c honey"

So I made a 2 gallon batch of Whispering wheat with booster and a 1/2 cup of honey..O.k

But came back and read the adjunct to malt ratio again and seen this detail that I missed or forgot:

" And I only add 1/2 c honey if I also add at least the equivalent of an additional can of UME."   DOH !!

I have quite a bit of ingredients I could add to the wort,you name but that could be messy aye...Will this batch be alright ? If not will againg fix it,If so The BIG QUESTION is how much aging. How long in the LBK fermenting and how long in the bottle,hmmm Thanks

Just incase,My malt Arsenal:

2 cans of creamy brown UME

1 can of Whispering wheat HME

1 lb of light dme

5 gal water bottle and 4 LBK's

Your beer should be fine.  I have used honey in several recipes, and I wouldn't worry about the addition of 1/2 cup unless you already had excess adjuncts.  You aren't in that position just from this addition of booster. 

Foothiller are you from the foothills of the Carolinas...Thanks  I haven't messed up yet,That was a close one..Woooo boy, Damn I need a beer

Wait a minute I had a pack of booster first..So the 1/2 cup of honey  is still ok? Alright I see where you say addition from the booster..Maybe I need not to drink any more beer..I better go get some rest..

I'm in the Sierra Nevada foothills, Northern California. 

I do normally add more extract to get more body than the HME by itself.  A pack of booster plus 1/2 cup of honey could be about the limit without adding more malt.  Make sure to leave your beer in the keg for 3 weeks then allow 4 weeks in bottles before you consider the beer done, or you could have a cidery taste with or without the honey.  I do sample a preliminary sample to see how it's progressing, during that month, and sometimes decide it needs more than 4 weeks of conditioning. 

One of the first batches I made was Whispering Wheat + booster + 1 cup honey. Turned out nice. You'll be fine. I used to add honey to quite a few batches but I've gone away from it because it gives the beer a dry finish.

I do like a dry wine with my steaks off the grill or any fancy itallian cheese sauce dishes.. Don't know if I ever had a dry beer.. Beer is not that sweet to begin with So What is it that hits the pallet to determine if it is dry.. Is it a vinegar flavor or just a lack of malt or what? Thanks!!!

Alcoholica said:I do like a dry wine with my steaks off the grill or any fancy itallian cheese sauce dishes.. Don't know if I ever had a dry beer.. Beer is not that sweet to begin with So What is it that hits the pallet to determine if it is dry.. Is it a vinegar flavor or just a lack of malt or what? Thanks!!!

If you have a vinegar flavor, you've likely got an infection.

Dry beer refers to the amount of residual sugar left after fermentation.  The drier a beer, the less residual sugar.  Some describe it as having a flavor that doesn't stick with you as long.  Malty beers aren't dry, because you taste that sweet after taste.  

The best way to learn the impact is to find a recipe and make it with, and without, honey and see the difference.  My wife likes one recipe with cherries and honey.  I don't.

I'm very "sophisticated" in my beer tastes.  I rate beers as "I live it" and "I don't like it".  :)  I happen to not like IPAs, don't like hoppy beers in general.  I'm a malty beer drinker.

Me too, not big on the super bitter hoppiness..I like the blue moons ,coronas hoppiness. Although I don't mind a little citrus.. I'm much better at my wine tasting as I have access to a lot of wine makers around here that don't mind sharing.. But I'm more of a beer drinker, N.C homemade muscadine goes down surprisingly smooth and when made right and it will  light that wig up quick,lol   But it's obvious when wine is dry because it ain't sweet,,Simple...

Now that I think about it I have tried a dry beer...Why ask why,lol I barely remember bud dry,other than I remember that dry beer seemed to give you hang overs a lot easier,so I haven't drunk it in years...So When I make this other can of Mr. Beer whispering wheat I guess I can compare the 2 and I will know.. Thanks all