Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
floopthebeer

before i bottle...

So…

Its been two weeks since I brewed my first batch. I was super excited  to bottle. I did a quick taste and it tastes yeasty. Is this normal? It didn’t taste sweet at all, just yeasty. its been In the LBK for 2 weeks exactly. Should I wait another week? Is it ok? How is it supposed to taste?

Most everyone commenting on many threads related to this say leave in the LBK for 3 weeks if you don't use a hydrometer for original gravity and finish gravity! Newbie myself and getting ready to bottle Powerful Patriot Ale next few days.

Dawg LB O.I.C. said:Most everyone commenting on many threads related to this say leave in the LBK for 3 weeks if you don't use a hydrometer for original gravity and finish gravity! Newbie myself and getting ready to bottle Powerful Patriot Ale next few days.

Give it another week.

I know it's hard to wait for that first batch but my mantra is:

"Time and patience are the two most important ingredients you can put into your beer."

So give it that third week to be sure it's ready and then - you'll just flip when you read this - give it at least four weeks in the bottles before you put any in the refrigerator.  After a week in the fridge pour yourself the first of the best beers you've ever drank in your life. 

And remember this:

As you get better as a brewer, your beers  - for as good as the one that you'll be enjoying is - will only get better too.

Ferment 3 weeks.

As far as the yeasty taste, during fermentation trub settles to the bottom of the lbk. When you do a taste test you often get a slug of yeast that has settled and landed in the spigot.

I did my WCPA for 2 weeks in the fermenter and it had a noticeable yeast presence ...But I had to bottle it 3 weeks for all the sweetness from the 2 1/2 tbsp. sugar to disappear ...And the carbonation was ridiculous ,forget pouring a glass as just a dropp would foam to the top,lol...But it was awesome beer because I just drank from the bottle.. BURP!

I have some Canadian conditioning now..I let it ferment for 3 weeks this time and 3 days.. The 3 days because I forgot about it...I noticed the bottles didn't swell tight for over a week as with my first batch it was tight after 1 day!..... The Canadian  has 1 week left bottling and I predict the head won't be so aggressive this go around..Don't know if that has something to do with adding an extra week to the fermenter or not..  

I have never gone past 17 days of fermentation. I have a hydrometer, but never use it, or I haven't used it in many, many years. I am not concerned, 17 days seems perfect for Mr. Beer recipes. I also cold crash it for 2 days, which is mainly to solidify the trub so I don't bottle it. The hydrometer will also let you calculate ABV if you have a need to know. Basically if it tastes like beer after 2 weeks plus, its ready for bottling. I brew for the 3 Cs as I call it, Color, Clarity and Carbonation. On Mr. Beer recipes the taste has been up to this point to my liking. I even liked the Dark Forest Stout and I am not a fan of stouts. Lagering and conditioning the beers really affects the taste and feel of the beers, that's my opinion, if you're doing the 2-2-2 method you most likely not be very impressed by the taste, especially if have an experienced palate. The beer pictured in my profile was brewed 2-2 and tasted after 2, it was good, after 4 weeks, it was again in my opinion, exceptional. My brewing tasting have gotten good reviews. Patience is the key.   

hey Picoc, any chance you have ever been to a beer dinner in the Harrisonburg Virginia area? They have a weekly beer dinner there at one of the resorts and the guy who chooses the beers for dinner always gives a little history on each of them and brewing in general, and every dinner I've been to he always talks about "the 3 Cs".Now you made me want to go :-)