Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
kjuckett1025

Chocolate Porter questions

Hi guys,

been awhile since I've posted here, most of my brews have done well and have needed little tweaking, thanks to previous advice and help I've received from you all. I have a new question, though.

i'm starting two new brews tomorrow, and upon looking up the chocolate porter information ( had no reviews / comments when I bought it ) it seems to have a bad track record for flavor.

I went ahead and ordered a 1lb bag of muntons dark DME, to substitute for the brown sugar which seemed to give negatve results. As for the chocolate flavor profile, i was looking for advce. I've seen some suggestions to go with " chocolate nibs ". If I'm able to locate these, how much should I use?

another option is a coffehouse porter ( I've become fond of BBC ). If I cannot find nibs this will likely be my backup route, which I know very little about. Either way I'd like some coffee porter info as well, as my new interest in BBC's will likely lead me to brewing it in the future.

As always, thanks for your time and expertise!

Consider part one answered. Aparently I missed the section in the other thread that stated the amount of cocoa nibs to use. 

Id still like information on coffee beer if anyone has any.

I have used coffee in stouts, where the style is supposed to be roasty, rather than in a porter.  But porter is a broad style open to interpretation, and stout developed from porter, so give it a try!   This is just what I happen to have done, that is to use 3/4 of the amount of ground french roast that I would use in a Mr Coffee "12 cup" pot, all put into a french press, and added to the keg before fermenting.  It's a nice addition to stouts. 

I brewed a Hazelnut Coffee Cream Stout in the fall that turned out to be one of the better beers I've made since I started brewing with Mr. Beer.  I used my fiance's french press and brewed a single cup of coffee, but with about 4 times the amount of coffee she would normally use.  Let it sit and brew for a while then stick it in the fridge to cool off.  Once it's cooled off, brew up your beer and add it to the fermenter before adding the yeast.  This gave it a nice coffee smell and taste.  Think about adding Lactose to sweeten it up a bit unless you want it very bitter. Good luck!

There is another post on here about using coffee. they suggested using cold brewd coffee as it is less bitter than hot brewed coffee.