Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
mregione

Bottling question/smell

This is my first batch of the American light that came in my kit.  I fermented two weeks and everything looked good with the hydrometer check so I proceeded to bottle.  I noticed while bottling that there is a distinct "cider" smell to the beer.  I did taste it and it seemed ok but now I am worried I didn't ferment long enough even though I got a good reading on the hydrometer.  Any thoughts on this and do you think the carb and conditioning phase will help?

That's exactly what the "conditioning" part of the process does - it turns green beer into good beer.

Two weeks was probably fine, and if you got two hydrometer readings 48 hours apart that matched then it clearly was.  Give it four weeks in the bottles, at room temp, then refrigerate one or more for 3 days and try it.  Or, to compare, do a bottle at 2, 3, 4, 5, and 6 weeks and compare each.

It's weird how many "cider" type of posts we get on this site.  I guess it is a common experience.  I've been brewing for 3 years, basically a batch every 3 weeks in that time, and I've never experienced what so many others have.  

Im a rookie. I have had my first batch fermenting for 2 weeks and 4 days. Everyone on this site says "go 3 weeks!" I purchased a new hydrometer for beer & wine but have no clue what Im looking for or how to use it?

Its because us brew virgins have no freeking patience.  I put one in the fridge after a week & tried a day & a half later.  It was a little cidery but not bad.  I will put another inthe fridge this next thursday and the nextafter that & so on.  To be clear, that last one will be the last one i try after just one week.