Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BubblinCrude

Back in the saddle

After 2 brews with mixed results back in 2010, I stumbled across my Mr Beer kit and decided to give it another run. I still had 4 cans of the old recipe HME - 2 Bewitched Red Ale and 1 each of West Coast Pale Ale and Englishman's Brown Ale. All of these have expiration dates of May or August 2013. I also had 3 bags of Booster; 2 are hard as a rock and 1 was hard, but kind of mushy. Given my mixed results during the first few times around, I figured that I should work on my technique with these supplies before using some new items I ordered. 

So, I just brewed 1 of the Bewitched Red Ale using the mushy bag of Booster. Nothing remarkable regarding the HME, but it took close to an hour for the Booster to dissolve in warm water. 

I also have a 2nd LBK and my original plan was to brew the WCPA with one of the hard bags of Booster next weekend. Now, I think that I may go ahead and drop the Booster and, instead, experiment by adding some Briess Liquid Malt Extract - Traditional Dark that I just picked up. I understand the suggestion of brewing straight recipes initially, but since the WCPA old recipe isn't repeatable, nor is it among my favorites, my thought is to get some experience with the extract. Thoughts?

Sounds like a good plan.  If you have used HME's, the malt extract isn't a far leap and will certainly make a better beer than WCPA alone.

Yeast should have a letter, then 5 digits.  First 3 are week, last 2 are year.  If it's 3 years or less it may be fine if it wasn't stored in the attic.

Thanks for the replies. I knew that I left something off the original post. Thanks to information I read in another thread by RickBeer, thanks for repeating it here, I realized that the yeast included with the HME was likely no good and ordered new yeast - 7 g DIY Beer Coopers.