Mr.Beer Community
Sign in to follow this  
BeerofHrod

Hard Apple cider

I put this batch together a few days ago. I used two gallons of apple cider from walmart with three packets of booster. I made a smaller batch a while ago with brown sugar and wanted to see what it'd taste like using only booster. I fermented with a dry wine yeast (it might be champagne yeast) i bought at the lhbs and raisins. total volume is 2.5 gallon as of now. I don't know how to backsweeten this but I'd like it to be a mixedberry cider eventually.

Sounds tasty!  Let us know how it turns out. 

Cider will typically be fairly dry.  In mine, to retain some sweetness I have included some DME and used ale yeast.  Fructose, like most sugars, is highly fermentable, so even with the DME and ale yeast, I have had 95% apparent attenuation.  In future batches, if you do want sweeter cider, you could use some lactose, which beer and wine yeasts do not ferment.  Sorry I can't suggest how much to use, so that could be trial-and-error to mert your tastes. 

I use Lactose to back sweeten.

You'll find your cider is going to be a bit Tart for the first 3 or 4 months.

It will taste a lot better by say, December this year.

So this batch has been sitting in the lbk for 17 days and it's time to move it to another vessel to clear up long term. I figure I'll split it between two 1 gallon jugs and the rest in a 20 oz coke bottle or whatever I have lying around. I will puree 1 can of blue berries in one of the gallon jugs, the other I'll leave as is. 

Next time I really want to try using an ale yeast like coopers with frozen apple juice concentrate to get a sweeter cider. The idea of graff sounds good too.

25a1b7b0-88a9-4fba-9db7-223233be3b8e.jpg041db78d-1df4-4211-bbac-8905e763c874.jpg39bc2d68-dc80-4fa2-a193-98d51e4455b6.jpg

each vessel got a pinch of fermaid-k. I poured a can of blueberries into the glass jug before racking on top of it, stirred with the siphon. I sueezed each plastic bottle and untightened the cap until i heard air escaping, then I just left it like that,

I figure there will be a little more co2 created to fill that head space, maybe I should add a tablespoon of sugar to be safe. I'm not to happy with the treetop container, i know it doesnt hold co2 for long term storage.

I ended up putting a few ounces of orange blossom honey into the pepsi bottle.  The headspace is smaller than before, I hope there isn't much of a krausen rising overnight.  The blueberry looks good. a lot of puree is floating and a lot of it is settling, not much activity in the airlock but it's only been a few hours. 

each cider is chugging along fine. the plain is in a dark cupboard. the honey cider is on a counter top covered with a paper bag. It didn't create much of a krausen after I put the honey in but there is gas building up inside I let out every couple of days. The blueberry is looking really nice, it took a couple days to see some action but its happy now and so am I.

4b07a193-523a-4790-99c1-e654df64b45c.jpg

It's been a good minute since I have updated this cider. I drank the cider I made with honey a while ago, it was less than ideal but it was very young, good but young.

Tonight I tried some of the cider I had in a treetop container tucked away in a cupboard for a few months. It has been chilled for a few days and oh was it excellent. It had a nice sweetness to it and a silky mouth feel with a hint of tartness. It smelled and tasted of apples. it cleared up nicely on its own too. the tree top has been in secondary for 2.5 months.

The blueberry cider is sitting pretty, I did rack it off some fruit chunks a few weeks ago ( i should have waited till they fell naturally). Now the rest of the debris has fallen and its clear enough to read through. 26d118ee-9ba3-462d-a370-b87dd162d804.jpg

Treetop cider w/ mr.beer booster and ec1118 yeast.

9f720038-7f80-4864-9dce-37ac7713a9dd.jpgdb80aed7-3da8-458d-b5f6-40eaaa085a0e.jpg

the blueberry, I plan to rack it off the lees and bottle in swing top clear bottles.